• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

5.7 Hemi oil recomendations

wedge69

Local time
12:38 PM
Reaction score
Ok SO I know a lot of you guys are running the 5.7 hemi engine. I just bought a 2012 Challenger Low miles ( my Next gen Dream car ) and being a Mechanic by trade and an X racer I HATE toe 5W30 oil used in these engines. I switched my 98 Ram over to 20W50 since New so my Question to you all is Can I switch the engine over to a Better Oil or am I locked in ?
Anyone running something other than this Lite oil ?
Any Help is good help so let me know
As Always Thanks Up Front !

20190420_172339.jpg

Don’t change the weight, change the brand. I am a dealer for AMSOIL, if interested PM me I can get you a price quote.

00CBCAA0-2D0A-49AC-A727-263EBB6D2193.png
Amsoil. 0-30. Signature Synthetic. The best cold start and high heat protection. I use it in both 5.7 Hemis. 06 Daytona with MSD and 09 Challenger stick non shutdown. 06 has 54k mostly Amsoil miles. Purrs like a kitten. Annual change due to low annual miles. See the 5/20 recommendation on the cap from FCA? Means nothing to me. 20 is just too thin.
06 Charger in picture.

Don’t change the weight, change the brand. I am a dealer for AMSOIL, if interested PM me I can get you a price quote.
I agree with sticking with manufacturers' recommended weight. However, I run Mobil1 (synthetic) in both my late model hemi's.

I agree with sticking with manufacturers' recommended weight. However, I run Mobil1 (synthetic) in both my late model hemi's.
If the factory recommends it and warranty’s it for 60000 miles I’m good with it. I always ran Mobil 1 in my 6.1 until I became a dealer for Amsoil

Manufacturers care about emissions more than I do. I want more than 60k.

Hey whatever floats you’re boat you know what you’re doing. My 6.1 has 150k on it now it has never let me down, Mobil1 0-40 for the majority of the miles.

Oh, totally agree with that - and it's because of that (I tend to buy vehicles very sparingly and "for life") that I stick with Mobil1. I've used it since 1985 in my modern vehicles that don't need the zinc the old ones do.
A fella named Carroll Shelby talked me into that when I was lucky enough to meet him at a Mopar Nats back then. I had bought a GLH Turbo new, which came with Mobil1 from the factory.
When I got to meet him and shake his hand (dummy me, I never got an autograph!) I asked him if that whole Mobil1 endorsement was for real and he looked seriously right at me and said "run it, son. It's good @%@^"".
Good enough for me. :)
Anything I've religiously ran it in ever since has gone well over 200k without issue, bar none.

Go ahead put some 20/50 in your challenger......then when its not running right because the lifters or cam timing components are not working right and you need to pull the heads to fix that stuff enjoy, its sooo much fun pulling heads on a hemi. REALLY??????your a mechanic by trade? tell me where your shop is so I don't go to IT by mistake. The oil weight is for a reason. don't **** with it. Its NOT 1998 any more

The bearing clearances are too tight for thick oil. These fake hemis aren't the same as the real deal.
For that matter 20-50 is actually too much for your 98 Ram. Even though it has a LA based engine they were tightened up and use roller lifters. No need for thick oil in modern engines.

The bearing clearances are too tight for thick oil. These fake hemis aren't the same as the real deal.
For that matter 20-50 is actually too much for your 98 Ram. Even though it has a LA based engine they were tightened up and use roller lifters. No need for thick oil in modern engines.

He's right!! I run Pennzoil Platinum Full Synthetic SAE 5W-20. That's what the dealer recommends, that's what I run.

Go ahead put some 20/50 in your challenger......then when its not running right because the lifters or cam timing components are not working right and you need to pull the heads to fix that stuff enjoy, its sooo much fun pulling heads on a hemi. REALLY??????your a mechanic by trade? tell me where your shop is so I don't go to IT by mistake. The oil weight is for a reason. don't **** with it. Its NOT 1998 any more
EXCUSE ME MISTER RUDNESS !
I just asked if anyone has done this as I am not a big fan of light weight oils ! I have 30 + years of racing back ground and have ran more laps than I can say ! All I wanted to ask is if it has been done ! Not asking for you Shade tree B,S !! I thank you guys on the upgrade to the synthetics as I run them in my Harley so I am going to switch it over to that. Sad to see there are D,A's still unhelpful here ! Thanks guys !

some mistake truth for rude. if you didn't like my answer im sorry but don't keep telling everyone about your experience in racing or that your a mechanic by trade if you don't know basic stuff about cars and engines. I don't come on these sites for information just for entertainment. If I need real info I go to the source.

Don't let fake dino piss scare you.
These days roller lifters and variable valve timing require a certain viscosity to work as intended.
Too many times I get the Hemis in my shop with a check engine light for wrong viscosity oil.

Florida in summer with 5-20? No way. Too thin.

Too thin for what engine? A 60s V8, yes. Anything made in the past 20 years, no. Its what is specified. In fact, newer engines use thinner oil.

In na$car in qualifying engines they used ZERO weight.

If you are building engines to 60s spec the thicker oils are fine. Newer engines can't use it.

Use Zero for reduced friction lap times. Short lifespan. 5.7 gets 0-30. Sit on I 15 at 95 degrees for a while. 20 is a manufacturers way to a marginal and brief reduction of emmisions and/or increased MPG. They don’t care how long engines last.

They don't? Have you thought they don't want to be replacing a bunch of engines because they specified the wrong oil?
How many cars from the 60s, using 10-40 Or thicker do you see with 250 k+ miles on them?

Now, how many vehicles made in the last 20 years using 5-20 do you see with 250 k+? Cars and trucks with over 250 k miles is the norm. And they are daily drivers. And they don't use any oil.
Tell us 5-20 is too thin.

Don't let fake dino piss scare you.
These days roller lifters and variable valve timing require a certain viscosity to work as intended.
Too many times I get the Hemis in my shop with a check engine light for wrong viscosity oil.
this.....truth

Auto Transport Service
Back