• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

5.7/NAG1 swap figured out

Darius

Local time
10:01 PM
Reaction score
I sure as hell wish I had known about this before I went the route I did. Would have cost me LESS than 1/2 as much as it has. I don't know why Hotwire does not promote this better.
The site says they have had this for some time but I sure as hell did not see it and I know I looked at their stuff.

http://www.hotwireauto.com/?page=sales-nag1

It requires the use of wheel abs sensors and requires you to use the factory SRT8 shifter as well. This is a deal killer for most people.

The way I read it, and, having just gone through a very expensive trial and error exercise, they are supplying a tone ring and sensor to install on the transmission output ( what I ended up doing) and you can use a shifter from an Rt OR an SRT. yes, it does mean you have to use a factory shifter but I'm thinking that could be integrated into a lot of builds with some thought and ingenuity. If you are making this swap thinking some other transmission then this is not the way to go.

It is still terrible expensive. For 99% of the folks out there my advice is still a 4L60 GM overdrive trans. There are adapter bell housings, the controllers are cheap. They require very little to make them work properly and you can hold 600 horsepower with the right build without much fuss at all. Greg could tell you more, I put a 4L80 in my car. I needed it to hold 800 wheel horsepower though. Believe it or not, it didn't take all that much cutting to get it to go either.

I may put a Nag1 in my car down the road a ways just to show it can be done and document how it can be done. Also, Holley EFI is working on the programming for the NAG1. Eventually you will be able to run the Holley Dominator setup and it will control the NAG1 with nothing more than a driveshaft speed sensor.

Auto Transport Service
Back