• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

5.7 Swap Harness Wiring Diagram

kb67mopar

Local time
8:16 PM
Reaction score
Ok guys here it goes...I am putting a 5.7 hemi in my 67 Coronet. I cannot afford to pay $950 for a ready made wiring harness. I am hoping somebody that has made their own can provide me with either a wiring schematic or something that can tell me which wires I need and which I can remove. At this point I have yet to start but I am not sure how I can tell which wires are required by the computer. Oh and I am NOT running the automatic trans so I need to cut out that stuff too.

Any help is much appreciated. Please don't tell me to go buy the harness...I just can't afford it guys.

Check over on fabo, those guys could wire the space shuttle with with twine and it would work, lol! I'm sure they will be able to help ya out.

haha, nice. I have gone through their threads and didn't find anything. I guess I might just have to register over there and start a thread. Why is it that the A-body guys are the pioneers and the B-body guys just read their work?...Makes me sadder

Please post your findings. I'd be very interested in figuring this out as well.

What are your goals? What do you have/are planning on?

I think your best option is ether go with all factory or go with aftermarket.(yes I know costly)

I myself am transplanting an 08 Hemi into my 81 Crew Cab Dodge. My install is going to be 100% factory setup for the engine wiring. I have a harness that is complete for all I need to accomplish this, a factory computer, a 545rfe, a factory bone stock(other then maybe a cam) 08 hemi engine(*08 Hemi- Bought hemi engine with a blown rod for 100 bucks, yanked the top end off and installed the top end on a '10 Hemi block I bought for 100 bucks.)

I will also be transplanting a hemi into a '63 4 dr belvedere. but the notes on that one are in another thread on this catagory.

This is not an easy endeavour and is not doable on an extremely cheap scale. If your intendingto do stock I would buy a complete vehicle so you have everything all that once.

IMO your cheapest method will be to use an msd hemi 6, and carburate the hemi. buy a 727 flexplate and be done with it.

Ok guys here it goes...I am putting a 5.7 hemi in my 67 Coronet. I cannot afford to pay $950 for a ready made wiring harness. I am hoping somebody that has made their own can provide me with either a wiring schematic or something that can tell me which wires I need and which I can remove. At this point I have yet to start but I am not sure how I can tell which wires are required by the computer. Oh and I am NOT running the automatic trans so I need to cut out that stuff too.

Any help is much appreciated. Please don't tell me to go buy the harness...I just can't afford it guys.

Which computer are you running? If you don't have an 04/05 Ram truck PCM I thing you may have some issues.

On that note, I am in the process of having some custom built standalones (MS3) for this same type of transplant into customer cars as well as my own. The unit will include a 12' labeled harness and a custom tune installed for your application. This system will include ignition drivers so there will be no need for an external ignition. It will also be capable of supporting boosted application up to 20psi.

Which computer are you running? If you don't have an 04/05 Ram truck PCM I thing you may have some issues.

On that note, I am in the process of having some custom built standalones (MS3) for this same type of transplant into customer cars as well as my own. The unit will include a 12' labeled harness and a custom tune installed for your application. This system will include ignition drivers so there will be no need for an external ignition. It will also be capable of supporting boosted application up to 20psi.

The only problem with that is MS3 isn't a cheap option like it used to be. used to be for 200-300 bucks you could have your system done. now it's easily double for all the things you want and then getting someone to tune it. still a great option and is hard to beat.

What are your goals? What do you have/are planning on?

I think your best option is ether go with all factory or go with aftermarket.(yes I know costly)

I myself am transplanting an 08 Hemi into my 81 Crew Cab Dodge. My install is going to be 100% factory setup for the engine wiring. I have a harness that is complete for all I need to accomplish this, a factory computer, a 545rfe, a factory bone stock(other then maybe a cam) 08 hemi engine(*08 Hemi- Bought hemi engine with a blown rod for 100 bucks, yanked the top end off and installed the top end on a '10 Hemi block I bought for 100 bucks.)

I will also be transplanting a hemi into a '63 4 dr belvedere. but the notes on that one are in another thread on this catagory.

This is not an easy endeavour and is not doable on an extremely cheap scale. If your intendingto do stock I would buy a complete vehicle so you have everything all that once.

IMO your cheapest method will be to use an msd hemi 6, and carburate the hemi. buy a 727 flexplate and be done with it.

Well first off I have an 03 hemi I picked up complete for $600 with 60k on it. I have an 04 computer but need the 04 harness to get started.

I cannot run the stock computer as is because I am running a 5-speed manual trans (I HATE automatics in cars).

My goal (for now) is to get this thing up and running for a reasonable price and finish the rest of the restoration and then eventually upgrade to a hotter cam.

I thought about the MS3 but the tuning seems like it would eat up a ton of time and of course on top of the MS3 parts then you need a wide band 02 and if you really want to be good a data logger. So in reality that isn't any cheaper then buying the ready made harness and having my computer tuned.

Basically my goal is to grab a stock 04 harness, strip it of all the un-needed wiring, have the computer tuned for my application and be up and running for less than $500.

As for running a carb...that completely defeats the purpose of running a late model Hemi and kinda kills the cool factor for me. Besides that means a $300 msd hemi6 box and a $300 intake plus a new carb. So I am not getting away any cheaper in that respect either.

With a carb your supposed to get more power out of the hemi. So realistically you only need the engine harness. I do have a harness that I could sell you(as per your pm request) but the harness is for an 08 coil pack setup. but I do have the connectors for an 03-04 coil setup that I can send with it so you can swap the coil connectors. You'll have to send the computer likely to s&p and they can tune the computer to eliminate the tranny programming from the computer. I'm unsure of how to run the throttle body as it requires the use of a drive by wire setup.

I'm not sure the 08 harness would work. I have part of an 03 harness so I would have the connectors for the coil packs already. I think for now I am going to try to get an 04 harness. And for the computer takes care of teh drive by wire, just need the 03 pedal switch since its a cable operated rheostat so I can keep my stock pedal and still run the DBW.

As far as a trans my plan at this point is an NV3500 from a Dakota v8. They are a little underrated for this engine but should hold up for me since I will be street driving, no track time. And when I eventually kill it I'll upgrade to something else and hopefully by the I can afford the trans.

(I can get an nv3500 locally for $350).

Also, I doubt you would get more out of the hemi with a carb. This was designed to be fuel injected and with a proper tune a fuel injection system should always be more powerful and more efficient then a carb.

I am looking into this as well, I did find a harness for $650.00 here http://www.docsblocks.com/wiring.asp I would rather use my nice original harness and modify it with the appropriate relays,fuses and OBDII connector. I don't think the PCM needs reprogrammed either unless it has a security system but I am not a expert on these modified harnesses!:grin:

I will look into their harness. My problem is I don't even have the stock harness nor can I seem to find one for a reasonable price.

As far as the computer is concerned, I have to program mine, I won't be using the 5-speed auto, ill be using a manual so I need to have it re-programmed for that.

FYI Docs Blocks DOES NOT make these any more. Their customer service rep said they are getting away from retail and have stopped producing these and no longer even have technical support person. She was actually a little rude about it.

So my advice would be stay away from them since they won't be able to stand by anything and obviously have nothing to offer.

kb67, I actually have a wiring harness and mine is a 2005 "5.7 Hemi" told me that my 05 does not have a Trans control module its built into the PCM but my wiring harness has 3 PCM plugs not 4 (at least I did not see a 4th) and my harness is in perfect shape not cut, I might get a pinout and actually try making a harness I need to get a OBDII port and a good wiring pin-out schematic!! I have modified Honda wiring harnesses for JDM motor conversions before so it's not totally foreign to me.

kb67, I actually have a wiring harness and mine is a 2005 "5.7 Hemi" told me that my 05 does not have a Trans control module its built into the PCM but my wiring harness has 3 PCM plugs not 4 (at least I did not see a 4th) and my harness is in perfect shape not cut, I might get a pinout and actually try making a harness I need to get a OBDII port and a good wiring pin-out schematic!! I have modified Honda wiring harnesses for JDM motor conversions before so it's not totally foreign to me.

That is exactly what I want to attempt to do but I lack the harness as a starting point. I can't seem to come up with one. My local salvage yards have been a bust, Craigslist is no luck(unless I want to spend $450 on an 03...no thanks) and my partial 03 harness is worthless with my 04 pcm.

If you dont end up using yours let me know, I'd be interested in buying it off you.

oh and 5.7 Hemi, if you read this (I know you will), I'd buy your 03 setup off your car if you want to expedite the process on your 05 computer setup (not my ideal but if it is cost effective I can make it work)

kb67, I will sell you my harness as I am going to buy a hotwireauto harness,
I also have the A/C compressor, power steering pump (with cooler and hoses) and a set of universal 5.7/6.1 Hemi block engine mounts if your interested.

Send me a PM and let me know what you'd want for the harness.

I don't have a use for the A/C or P/S. Shoot me a photo or web link to the motor mounts, I might be interested in those depending on what they look like. I was planning on making my own.

Guys, if you plan to use the factory k member, do yourself a favor and get the mounts from TTI. No screwing around, and you can use the poly loc's from schmachercreativeservices.com That motor wont move 1/16 of an inch, thats a fact!!

The stick pcm's are 3 plugs and the auto's are 4 plugs, and yes you can have the auto deleted or turned off. One interesting observation, when I was running my engine, trans was bolted up (no conveter) trans was plugged to the tcm, it never threw a code for the trans, wierd, but kinda cool.

Auto Transport Service
Back