• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

5.7L Hemi in 72 Charger

skymynx

Local time
10:25 PM
Reaction score
I was getting ready to pull my 318 out in a few weeks to send it off to get machined to become a stroker. However I found a 5.7L Hemi out of a wrecked 2006 charger. It runs fine and they are only asking $1000. I know TTI offers a some headers and engine mounts to drop it in. I'm just curious who has done a swap like this. How hard was it?

I'm thinking of doing the same thing! I understand to make it easier ditch the FI system, put a 4bbl on it. Also, I understand you need to use a small block transmission 727/904 on the new engine. Also, you will need to keep the engine computer to run the coils...at least this is what I understand. By far, economically this new engine for 1K is a better way to go; this is why I am pondering this for my Sat or GTX.

If you ditch the EFI you'll need an MSD control box to control ignition, a 4bbl intake, and a 4bbl carb...

Other parts you'll need - spacer for transmission, small block transmission, motor mounts, headers - if you keep the EFI you'll need fuel lines and electric fuel pump...

Check out my thread, it may answer some of your questions....hopefully.

Check out my thread, it may answer some of your questions....hopefully.

Seems like you'll have alot of extras that I won't be able to afford anytime soon. I'll finish reading through it later tonight. I'm curious as to how much this is gonna cost me though to just get it on the road.

engine/trans---used 1500-4500
headers---750
factory computer with a harness from s&p, dave weber, bouchillon--1000 or so
fuel pump---250 or so (intank)
misc. odds and ends---1000 (motor mounts, fuel line,filter/reg., fittings etc.)

It can be done on the cheap side, or you can go balls out.

The balls to do it---priceless.

I actually have a 2006 Charger RT so I'm familiar with the motor. I just figured it would be really cool to have another 5.7L in my 72 charger. Now why couldn't I just use the factory computer?

The cost seems to be right where I thought it would be. As either way all I have now is a really tired 904 that would be getting replaced either way.

hell if you are going to drop that in i would go ahead and keep the efi on it too. you will still need the comp and it will run a hell of alot better.

I want to keep efi. Why put a different intake manifold and carb setup on it why its already ready to go. So what are my options for the efi setup?

Just use the factory stuff, and a harness from dave weber----this will allow you to go to ant dealer if you got probles that you cant figure out.

So even if I get the factory computer. I'll still need to spend another grand or so to get the harness from dave weber? Can you post a link to a site that sells this?

You can make the stock harness work... just takes a lot of time and some knowledge of how everything works...

Link didn't work. Thanks for all info though guys. I'm just trying to get all the facts before I get into something.

The link works, it's just that the html was encoded into what 5.7 typed, omit the -----check and it will work.

Yeah, do what Donny said, sorry about that.

I still can't believe what they charge for a harness. Especially when its just an engine harness. I understand why, but god damn its expensive. Gotta pay to play though right

I think it's BULL SH*T myself, but mopar has and always will be more expensive, it's the price we pay for the best.

It is bs how it cost so much more to get anything for mopar vs for a chevy. Mass production i guess

Auto Transport Service
Back