5 or 6 Speed Conversion Options

General Mopar Tech Discussions

1. skymynx

skymynx Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    2:12 PM
    I've been looking into getting a 5 or 6 speed conversion kit for my 72 charger. I miss driving a stick and it seems this would be one of the best options to truely enjoy driving my car. I've been looking into a couple of suppliers and would like to hear from people about the different options out there and their experiences weither good or bad.

Current Conditions:
    318 small block with 904 tranny
    will continue to have the 318

Passon Performance:
    I called (late Dec 2012) and was told these were on schedule to be released early this spring but was told the rough pricing was around $4500. This just seems high since it is only the transmission. I recongize it's sold as a 'bolt in' option for the guys with the A-833 trannys but as I'm coming from an automatic I'm going to have cut up the floor and get a new driveshaft either way.

Classic Mopar 5 Speed:
    These kits seem to have everything I need minus the pedals. Anyone ever used them before.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2013
  2. moparstuart

moparstuart Well-Known Member

overland park kansas / Former owner a salvage yard
    Local Time:
    1:12 PM
  3. Greg55_99

Greg55_99 Member

Local Time:
  4. Dennis H

Dennis H FBBO Gold Member FBBO Gold Member

Local Time:
    Keisler and Passon have yet to deliver. Delays. Talk and hype. Over promise, under deliver. If anyone reading this has the new Passon or Keisler, let me know.

5. day1glo

day1glo Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    Yeah, I have been checking the Passon site for the past year. I really hope it is this spring.. .

6. Dennis H

Local Time:
    Spring summer fall. Bullshitsky. Figure it out. Don't tout it then fail. Like Shafi explaining that Charger getting its ass kicked. Clutch my ear.

7. skymynx

skymynx Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    I'll check out american power train. What parts did you source out that you spoke of?

Sorry moparstuart. didn't see the link in OP. lots of useful stuff in there I'll read through later tonight.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2013
  8. moparstuart

moparstuart Well-Known Member

overland park kansas / Former owner a salvage yard
    Local Time:
    you will have to read the thread but i bought some stuff on ebay , some stuff from the dealer , the crossmember and hydrolic from a manufacture in columbia missouri , Kevlar clutch , bell housing and drive shaft from american power train , the tranny used off craigs list .

this thread may be better to read

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95382.0.html

• Like Like x 1
    • anmracing

anmracing Well-Known Member

Local Time:
      11:12 AM
      We just installed a Keisler TKO in a '69 Belvedere. I have read both here and on the Corvette forum that they took a long time to get parts out. Well, I have to say that was not so, in our case anyway. The trans was delivered in the promised time and the driveshaft was within the three weeks that we were told about.

We ended up getting the clutch from American Powertrain. Those guys were fantastic. We did the Quick Time bellhouseing, Wilwood hydraulic clutch and flywheel from them. The flywheel was damaged when delivered and A/P had another one sent out and to us within a couple of days.

Then I was being told that getting the clutch in would be a pain to install. The install was quick and painless. The Q/T bellhousing was centered and didn't need to be redoweled. Which was awesome!

I have got to say the experience was much better than expected.

• Like Like x 1
      • Dennis H

Local Time:
        How is the 2-3 high rpm shift. Can you find third?

• kb67mopar

kb67mopar Well-Known Member

Local Time:
        I am putting an NV3500 from a Dakota behind my 5.7 Hemi. It should live all day long behind that 318. I was able to fit it in the car without any cutting of the x-member but I built my own mounts so you may have to do a bit of trimming but not much. The clutch parts are hydraulic and should be easy to source from a local parts store but would need to be modified to work with the pedal. These trannies were common behind 318 magnums in dakotas from 95 to 2004 and depending on year have a mechanical speedo or none at all so make sure you pick a proper year if you plan to use the stock cable. Trans with built in bell housing sourced from local salvage yard: $440. Clutch kits are about $200. Hydraulics are about $150 all new or cheaper used. So $800 ish plus pedals and driveshaft.

---Update---

I should mention these trucks could be bought whole for under $1k and then you'd have everything you'd need even magnum heads :headbang:

Last edited: Mar 2, 2013
      • anmracing

anmracing Well-Known Member

Local Time:
        11:12 AM
        The shift is fantastic. No problems finding any of the gears. Still getting used to the shift point though. I can get to 80 mph on the freeway with the 4.11 gear and not hit 3000rpm. Switching to the 5 spd was a dramatic improvment.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
        By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.