• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

505 Stroker Oil Pan/Pickup/Tray Setup?

beanhead

May I Land My Kinky Machine
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
4:10 PM
Reaction score
What are you folks finding to work best for your 4.25" stroke RB builds? I am leaning toward just a 6-qt hemi style pan as my engine will be more street beast than track terror...I like the deeper windage tray that 440 source makes, but which pickup? I have zero problem clearancing/cutting the tray but it'd be nice to not have to cut up and re-weld the pickup as well. There's gotta be stuff available for a painless fit with all the strokers that are out there nowadays, right? Maybe?
Thanks

What chassis? I'm pretty sure the hemi pan wouldn't work in my 62. I have been using the milodon low profile, or another pan that is a ringer for the milodon.

Oops. '68 Satellite....I've seen the Milodon pan at Summit, that one looks good I've always had good results with their stuff..

What are you folks finding to work best for your 4.25" stroke RB builds? I am leaning toward just a 6-qt hemi style pan as my engine will be more street beast than track terror...I like the deeper windage tray that 440 source makes, but which pickup? I have zero problem clearancing/cutting the tray but it'd be nice to not have to cut up and re-weld the pickup as well. There's gotta be stuff available for a painless fit with all the strokers that are out there nowadays, right? Maybe?
Thanks

The 440 source deep stroker windage tray is deeper than the hemi oil pan.
The Hemi oil pan is a good choice. it does not hang below the K-member.
The Jegs 502001 windage tray/pan gasket is a nice solution. It is listed as 4.15" stroke, but clears the 4.25" 440 source kit with the 2.20" bearing size H-Beam connecting rods. I usually open up the slots in the windage tray a bit wider.
I don't know how well the 3/8" oil pan pickup fits?
The engines I have done used the 1/2" pickup, but none were for the matching oil pans, so they all needed some modification to fit correctly.

I used the Milodon Hemi style pan, their windage tray made for the stroker, and their pickup for that pan. All works well together and had no issues. I've got about 2500 mi on my setup now and no issues what so ever. If I remember correctly, I had about an 1/8" or a bit more clearance between the pan and pickup they supplied. All fit perfect and the parts were pretty beefy in quality compared to some of the other brands. I really like how rigid the pan is by the rails compared to others. They just make really nice stuff that seems to work and fit correctly without issues. I didn't wanna combine my pan and pickup with different brands and deal with fitment issues. Glad I did what I did.
:thumbsup:

milodon.jpg

I had the Milodon 30930 pan, 18325 pickup (I think), 32005 windage tray on my 500" motor. Pan was a little below the K member. 7 Qt. I went to the 31581 Pro Touring external pickup 7 Qt on my 512. The 31580 is the same with the internal pickup. It's even with the K member. Give them a look.

I used the Milodon Hemi style pan, their windage tray made for the stroker, and their pickup for that pan. All works well together and had no issues. I've got about 2500 mi on my setup now and no issues what so ever. If I remember correctly, I had about an 1/8" or a bit more clearance between the pan and pickup they supplied. All fit perfect and the parts were pretty beefy in quality compared to some of the other brands. I really like how rigid the pan is by the rails compared to others. They just make really nice stuff that seems to work and fit correctly without issues. I didn't wanna combine my pan and pickup with different brands and deal with fitment issues. Glad I did what I did.

View attachment 929497

I had the Milodon 30930 pan, 18325 pickup (I think), 32005 windage tray on my 500" motor. Pan was a little below the K member. 7 Qt. I went to the 31581 Pro Touring external pickup 7 Qt on my 512. The 31580 is the same with the internal pickup. It's even with the K member. Give them a look.
Thanks guys, I think I'll go with the Milodon setup. I like it!

On those one-piece tray/gasket units, they sealing well for you guys? I haven't tried one yet but they seem like less hassle...

On those one-piece tray/gasket units, they sealing well for you guys? I haven't tried one yet but they seem like less hassle...

I went with the moroso crush proof gaskets and some grey RTV very lightly applied and all sealed up perfect for me. Unrelated question for you but what did you use for main bolts or studs? Reason I ask is I used ARP main studs and had issues with my rear main cap clearing the nuts for the two rear studs. I ground my retainer to make it fit, but they offer shorter studs and its kinda bullshit that they only give them to you if you mention you have issues. Just a heads up on it because it screwed up my cap alignment with the oil pan bolts and made me take it apart twice. Figured I'd mention it if you were using studs as it will throw a roadblock in on ya.

I used them on two engines and they seal good for me. Usually I just use a bit of rtv where the front cover meets the block and the block to rear main seal retainer. I think they may seal the irregular surface without the rtv, but I haven't tried it that way yet. The reason I mention it is the seal in the gasket is pretty soft, and using the rtv attaches to the built in seal, so when using rtv on the windage tray gasket, it sort of makes the tray/gasket non-reusable unless you continue to rtv the same spots.

I also don't know how well the tray controls windage? the oil return slots are up on the side of the tray, and the bottom is solid. The engines I have used it on are street engines that only see about 6,000 RPM max.

The 505 in my Convertible used the Mopar Hemi oil pan. That engine sealed up really good, no leaks at all. I don't recall the 1/2" pickup I used, but I think it needed to be heated and bent slightly to get the distance to the oil pan bottom correct. If you plan to use a main stud girdle (like on my 499" stroker), it will change the pickup tube depth setting and may require some work to get the pickup to fit correctly. The 499" engine has a Mopar steel windage tray which works because the BCR girdle is 1/2" deep. I am having some oil leaks on it, bit the oil pan is old and really beat up. I plan to pull that engine and reseal and replace the oil pan. I am thinking of using the one piece windage tray/oil pan gasket on it too. All these are using the orange rear main seals too.
The other 505" engine used some off brand oil pan, maybe summit racing? and the 1/2" pickup was from 440 Source. That combination does not work. The pickup was too long and was hitting the back of the oil pan sump. I actually had to cut about 2" out of the pickup tube and weld it back together to get it to fit. That engine sealed good when delivered, but now has a leak, but not sure where it is from. Originally had the cork valve cover gaskets torqued to spec and sealed good. Owner thought they were too loose and crushed the cork gasket creating leaks. Not sure what the current leak is?

Ok thanks everyone. I'm using main studs w/ 12-pt. nuts but factory caps and no girdle. I think I'd like to try the tray/gasket. I usually add some holes and/or slots for better oil return anyway.

On the main studs, I just cut away a bit of the seal retainer rail. Its actually easier on a stock seal retainer then the aftermarket ones where there is more material below the rail.

On the main studs, I just cut away a bit of the seal retainer rail. Its actually easier on a stock seal retainer then the aftermarket ones where there is more material below the rail.

I did the same thing. I was just pissed after reading about ARP knowing about the issue after I did the modification and not just sending the studs in the kit when you buy it.

I did the same thing. I was just pissed after reading about ARP knowing about the issue after I did the modification and not just sending the studs in the kit when you buy it.

They aren't making enough $$$ to send the parts that fit... (if there's any question yes I'm being sarcastic)

They aren't making enough $$$ to send the parts that fit... (if there's any question yes I'm being sarcastic)

No question at all lol....I thought the same thing. Here are some parts and maybe they will work if you're lucky, but if not, call us because we know the issue and have the ones that really fit.

--Okay, I went for the Summit-branded one piece tray & gasket (made in U.S.A. btw). I like the fact that it has clearance bumps where the rod bolts pass by the sides, and two notches to make room for the ARP rear studs. They stick up a thread or two taller than the pan rail on the block, but there's no interference with the tray thanks to the notches, and they aren't tall enough to bug the pan any. I did make a small hole in the tray where the milodon pickup tube was hitting it, but that's no big deal. To confirm- I have the 2.2 journal 4.25" crank, and everything on the rotating assembly clears this tray made for 4.15" stroke, by plenty.
--Are any of you using sealants on this tray, besides at the timing cover joints and rear seal retainer?

Not a big fan of skimping on the oil system for a performance engine.

1/2 pickup and milodon kick out pan at a min for any of my stuff. This is the 511 in the rr.

D0875C22-35C2-4D71-9B63-D99CA57CA849.jpeg
5F647498-6999-4D58-9580-AC760EF48F04.jpeg

Last edited:
Not a big fan of skimping on the oil system for a performance engine.

1/2 pickup and milodon kick out pan at a min for any of my stuff. This is the 511 in the rr.

View attachment 950669 View attachment 950670
Very nice! I'm using Milodon stuff on all mine too, but am trying the composite windage tray this time. I wasn't sure how things would fit, this being my first RB stroker. No problems. Just the 6-qt pan for me though, clearance is a bigger concern than the extra quart. I nailed a 7-qt (expensive) pan once already running the crap out of my car on the street.
(I've happened across a couple of your you-tube vids by the way..badass, dude)

Thanks

You don't need the deeper windage tray if you used 2.200 rod bearings and modern rods. If you went old school then you'll need more clearance. The problem with the deeper windage tray is that it might not fit with some oil pans so you end up with a ripple effect of parts. If your shortblock is together then try a factory windage tray to see if it fits.

Auto Transport Service
Back