• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

.509 mopar cam

DGE330/NC

Local time
2:16 PM
Reaction score
i put a mopar performance cam in a motor 20 years ago and never ran motor . just sealed it up and it sat in the cornor of my garage .just recently tore motor down and this cam is gonna be a bit agressive for my street motor build.it was installed but never ran i removed it and wrapped it in oily brown paper with the tappets and oiled them.worth anything to anybody ?

Not me personally, but I'm sure someone will want it as it's from the "made-before-quality-declined" (more specifically the lifters) era of MP stuff...put an ad up in the 'for sale' thread and see if you get any takers.

I don't understand why you think it to aggressive for your motor. I love the 509. I have installed the Mopar Performance version in a 70 RR 440-6 and it has enough vacuum for power brakes. The video is the Racer Brown version which has a little more lope than the MP.

I had one of those older 509 cams in my 440. Last year I changed it to a Hughes cam. The 509 has a really nice lumpy idle but other than that this Hughes cam is way better. I sold the 509 cam and lifters for $200.

I managed mid 12s with a ,030 over 440 in my 66 SW with that cam and thought it had good street manners.
Mike

I don't understand why you think it to aggressive for your motor. I love the 509. I have installed the Mopar Performance version in a 70 RR 440-6 and it has enough vacuum for power brakes. The video is the Racer Brown version which has a little more lope than the MP.
'Agressive' is relative. Low compression, rear gear/converter, wanting a smoother/quieter idle..could all factor in. While I like that cam too, if the rest of the combo doesn't match it, it can be a dog for something you just wanna cruise around in.

Ran one in a 69 440 HP with no problems. I liked it !

Best song i've heard all day ! :)

My Brother put one in (MP) his 1969 383 about 30 years ago, broke it in, and wiped two lobes clean off of it.

Not sure what went wrong, but I doubt it was the fault of the cam...likely the dual-coil valve springs my Brother choose.

have one in my 440 67 belvedere good street manners nice lump

I run 3.91 with a 255 drag radial

Auto Transport Service
Back