• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

512 builds.. post em if you got em!

747mopar

Local time
12:09 PM
Reaction score
I've been thinking long and hard about getting more ponies under the hood of my Charger, boost, cubes, etc and am leaning towards a 512 low deck. Reasoning, any form of boost snowballs $$$$, complete fuel delivery overhaul, expensive carbs, turbos or superchargers$$$, waste gates, plumbing, ignition, etc, etc. With the daughters Satty project coming up it's the perfect time seeing how she also has a 400, I'll pull mine, add EFI and a smaller cam and drop it in hers then start over for my car with her 400.

Here's the most important issue, it has to be happy cruising in OD so a cam that's happy at 2,000 rpm is in order. This won't be happening for at least a year but if I get a plan I can start snatching up deals as they come.

Hoping to get close to the 600hp mark.

Hell throw trick flow 240’s or 270’s and a cam on it and you’ll be at 600 hp

Hell throw trick flow 240’s or 270’s and a cam on it and you’ll be at 600 hp
On what, my current engine or the 512 to be? Here's another twist, my buddy gave me a set of Stealths that failed prematurely that I had hoped to use, not a fan of them but once the shop installs quality guides and goes through them they should be good but I'm sure not nearly as good as the Trickflows. We'll see, if the money is there I'd definitely prefer the Trickflows.

I can’t remeber which member but he has a build theread on his gtx and hes running a 440 .030 with trick flow 240’s making 590 hp with a mild cam. Don’t get me wrong the 512 would be bad *** but it can save some money on your budget by sticking with a stock stroke 440

I can’t remeber which member but he has a build theread on his gtx and hes running a 440 .030 with trick flow 240’s making 590 hp with a mild cam. Don’t get me wrong the 512 would be bad *** but it can save some money on your budget by sticking with a stock stroke 440

I have to build a 400 base engine regardless for my daughter's car unless I go modern on it, no better time them now. I hate wasting money so this gives me an exit with my current engine (detuned of coarse), if I do it I'm going 512 and not regretting anything.

I have a low deck pump gas 512 in my '65 Coronet. The cam is a 246@050 hyd roller which might be a tad big for cruising at 2000 rpm. 600 hp will be tough to hit if you cam it for an OD trans. You can get 600 ft-lbs of torque without any problem but the HP might be closer to 550 at peak. It will still haul balls so I wouldn't worry about the number. Stealth heads can be made to work but you're probably best off to sell those heads and put the money towards some Trick Flows. But you should make sure your headers work with angle plugs before you swap heads. I highly recommend going with a Holley Sniper system and a Hyperspark distributor. You'll be able to tune it nice and tight with the EFI setup and the fuel you save will pay for the parts over the life of the engine. https://www.hotrod.com/articles/holley-hyperspark-install-tune/

Subscribed!

I have a 400 and I plan to build it to look like a stock 383 for my 70 Road Runner. It will likely be a 512, but I have not yet bought the rotating assembly. I also want to be able to cruise in mine, but have a broad and high torque rating to comfortably accelerate at any RPM. I will share my own build once it starts in earnest...

Hawk

I have a low deck pump gas 512 in my '65 Coronet. The cam is a 246@050 hyd roller which might be a tad big for cruising at 2000 rpm. 600 hp will be tough to hit if you cam it for an OD trans. You can get 600 ft-lbs of torque without any problem but the HP might be closer to 550 at peak. It will still haul balls so I wouldn't worry about the number. Stealth heads can be made to work but you're probably best off to sell those heads and put the money towards some Trick Flows. But you should make sure your headers work with angle plugs before you swap heads. I highly recommend going with a Holley Sniper system and a Hyperspark distributor. You'll be able to tune it nice and tight with the EFI setup and the fuel you save will pay for the parts over the life of the engine. https://www.hotrod.com/articles/holley-hyperspark-install-tune/
Thanks, I won't compromise on my cruising rpm seeings how the T56 doubled the miles I drove it per year. Torque is often overlooked, it is what propels these fat tirds through the 0-60 mph range:lol:.

We strongly considered a stroker build for our RR that is in the restoration process, but with everything else costing so much (interior, body, paint, and miscellaneous expenses), it has been put on hold. With that being said, how much $$$ do you stroker guys have in your builds? I hate to ask, but there is always a difference between the estimated cost VS the actual cost..... just like everything else lol.

You can meet your goal. Use TF 240s, 10.5:1+ CR, the right solid FT or roller cam without too much overlap, and you'll be right there and 2000 rpm cruise will be no problem. Go with lesser head and hydraulic cam and you'll give up power, or your nice low rpm cruise.

Here's another twist, my buddy gave me a set of Stealths that failed prematurely that I had hoped to use, not a fan of them but once the shop installs quality guides and goes through them they should be good but I'm sure not nearly as good as the Trickflows.
Say it isn't so Devin. Can't believe that 'Stealth' word could even be typed on your keyboard LOL. I have used 2 pairs of the Stealths with no problems, but with my Super Bee build I am definitely going Trick Flow route.

We strongly considered a stroker build for our RR that is in the restoration process, but with everything else costing so much (interior, body, paint, and miscellaneous expenses), it has been put on hold. With that being said, how much $$$ do you stroker guys have in your builds? I hate to ask, but there is always a difference between the estimated cost VS the actual cost..... just like everything else lol.
I've got $4,500 in my 456 using a factory 440 rotating assembly. I get what your saying, this engine was built on a budget while I was building the car, now the car is done so things are easier:thumbsup:

Say it isn't so Devin. Can't believe that 'Stealth' word could even be typed on your keyboard LOL. I have used 2 pairs of the Stealths with no problems, but with my Super Bee build I am definitely going Trick Flow route.

:rofl:

Yeap, I'm the hater of all things Chinesium and would never BUY a pair but if you got them why not. O.K. now I'm just going to scrap that idea for fear of the repercussions! Guess I better start saving.

The guides on these heads were completely shot with only about 3,000 miles on them, according to my shop they see it a lot in Chinese made parts.

Trick flow 240 top end, HS rocker arms, roller cam, ARP head bolts, timing set, bronze oil pump drive, and such adds up to close to $4,500 before the cost of the stroker kit which adds another $2250 before any options like ARP 2000 rod bolts or light weight crank for another $100 each. So you end up around $7,000 before machine work. Haven't picked up the block yet, but machine shop estimate was close to $800 and we are doing the cam bearings, core plugs and such, it the machine shop did those it would have been about $1,000. That still dose not cover Induction system, oil pan/pickup, exhaust system, cooling system. It is pretty easy to have $10,000 into a stroker engine.

Trick flow 240 top end, HS rocker arms, roller cam, ARP head bolts, timing set, bronze oil pump drive, and such adds up to close to $4,500 before the cost of the stroker kit which adds another $2250 before any options like ARP 2000 rod bolts or light weight crank for another $100 each. So you end up around $7,000 before machine work. Haven't picked up the block yet, but machine shop estimate was close to $800 and we are doing the cam bearings, core plugs and such, it the machine shop did those it would have been about $1,000. That still dose not cover Induction system, oil pan/pickup, exhaust system, cooling system. It is pretty easy to have $10,000 into a stroker engine.
Sure does add up quick, I got around 12-13 k into my 505. That’s including machine work

Makes the Gen3 HellCrate look like a good deal ;)
Anyone hear what the Hellaphant Crate will cost?

Makes the Gen3 HellCrate look like a good deal ;)
Anyone hear what the Hellaphant Crate will cost?
That's the other option, if this can't be done somewhat inexpensively I'll be looking for a Hellcat drivetrain... hoping the Demon and the new 426 drives the cost down.

I'm planning on doing some posts or videos of Dans 505 Stroker build. I have a spread sheet of most of the costs so far, but still need to buy a few more parts.
On my old 505 stroker, I spent more on the port EFI and Billet Specialities Tru-Track than what the rest of the engine cost. I was suprised when I was able to buy a low mile 6.1L Gen 3 Hemi, with all the accessories, EFI, computer, and NAG1 OD trans for $4,000. I haven't installed the Gen3 yet, been looking at the options and costs for the different swap options, and what transmission controllers will work.

Auto Transport Service
Back