• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

518 Heads

PineTree92

Local time
7:36 AM
Reaction score
Hi, new guy here. I'm over on FCBO but I have a question that I think y'all might be able to answer for me.

I was working on my 67' Chrysler 300 today replacing the radiator. I decided to pull off a valve cover to check the casting number on the head because I wanted to know if I had the 915 closed chamber heads.

I saw the number 2406518. After some extensive research I determined them to be the 63-64 stage 3 Max Wedge Heads. They have the correct markings, 6 bolt holes, and rocker towers cast into them. I don't think they are those 518 reproduction heads so for the sake of this conversation lets assume they are not.

I search all over Ebay and couldnt find and 518 heads for sale. Does anyone know what these things go for now a days? I am not looking to sell these anytime soon, but I would like to know what they worth.

Thanks,
Ty

Are you sure that's not 2406516? That would be a likely stock head.

I triple checked. Its an "8" I want to pull the heads off to check the exhaust valve size but this is my DD currently and im not about to pop the heads off just to take a gander at the valve size.

The intake ports on the Max Wedge heads are MUCH larger & require a special intake manifold. Between the exhaust valve size & the intake port dimension you'll be able to tell.

just post a pic of the intake side & that will tell it all so we dont have to philosaphize about it

Exactly.
The 518 heads have no ex heat crossover..... so it’s really easy to tell if they’re MW or not with just a casual observation.

Also, there is no MW sized valley pan gasket, the stock intake probably won’t even fully cover the MW ports, etc.

This is one of those situations where you can be 99.99999% sure they’re not 518’s.

Frankly, unless you have a maxwedge specific intake manifold (crossram, nascar specific single four barrel, or aftermarket) , you dont have maxwedge heads. You would be able to look down into the intake ports of the heads, over the top of a standard intake bolted in place, the mismatch is that great.
I have a tm7 tarantula intake that was modified/welded up to match a max head. It has a half inch of aluminum added to the top of the ports to allow it to seal.

Exactly.
The 518 heads have no ex heat crossover..... so it’s really easy to tell if they’re MW or not with just a casual observation.

Also, there is no MW sized valley pan gasket, the stock intake probably won’t even fully cover the MW ports, etc.

This is one of those situations where you can be 99.99999% sure they’re not 518’s.

It has the heat cross over. So its a 516. Thank you for your help everyone. Sorry for the mix up

Pity you never got as far as anyone telling you what they are worth. :bananaweed: It would have been sweet if you had even found '915's in there. :thumbsup:

@PineTree92 , no problems happy to help. Welcome to the b side. We would love some pics of your c-body.
The least i can do for your guys help.

Im looking for some 14" 5 slot aluminum wheels for it. But otherwise its pretty stock. New front seat and i made a new exhaust. Its been re sprayed sometime during its life but im pretty sure im the third owner. It got passed down from its original owner to his son then i purchased it.

I have the original build sheet and the cericard somewhere.

I just installed an oil coller on it but other than that i just keep her running and drive her 2 miles to work everyday.

20190707_174350.jpg 20190707_174409.jpg 20190707_174358_HDR.jpg 20190707_174421_HDR.jpg 20190707_174509_HDR.jpg

Pity you never got as far as anyone telling you what they are worth. :bananaweed: It would have been sweet if you had even found '915's in there. :thumbsup:
From my understanding the 915s and 516s are similar. But the 915s flow better and have bigger exhaust valves.

. But the 915s flow better and have bigger exhaust valves.

Not necessarily. '915HP's have bigger valves. Standard '915's do not, they have the same size as 516's, 1.60 exhaust. Most 1966 915's are very, very similar to 516's anyway. But you can of course work either of them over to a well ported state and enlarged valves in either. Of course the cost is high, and since aftermarket is so strong you wont see many people going that route any longer. In the end, all 915's will still command a higher price than 516's any day tho. If you were looking for '915HP's, you'd look for a stamp (HP) on the end of the head, on the bolt boss.

Welcome to the group, it is lovely here. Don't be a stranger now.

welcome aboard very nice land yacht I bet it's great comfortable cruiser

Not necessarily. '915HP's have bigger valves. Standard '915's do not, they have the same size as 516's, 1.60 exhaust. Most 1966 915's are very, very similar to 516's anyway. But you can of course work either of them over to a well ported state and enlarged valves in either. Of course the cost is high, and since aftermarket is so strong you wont see many people going that route any longer. In the end, all 915's will still command a higher price than 516's any day tho. If you were looking for '915HP's, you'd look for a stamp (HP) on the end of the head, on the bolt boss.

Welcome to the group, it is lovely here. Don't be a stranger now.

I collected B heads for years, had a number of 915 sets. I never saw a set with the small exhaust valves. They seem to have used the 516 heads well into '67 on the "low perf" motors, had several sets of them from '66 & '67 motors. With a bit of porting & bigger valves, the 516's work very well on a moderate 440.

From my understanding the 915s and 516s are similar. But the 915s flow better and have bigger exhaust valves.

The 915's are a completely different Intake Port design from the flatter 516 Intake port, the 915 Intake Port being similar to the later/Higher floor 906 Open Chamber Intake Port.

All the passenger Car Heads up until 1968 used the smaller 1.60" Exhaust valve, except the 1967 915 Head when used in HP applications had the 1.74" Exhaust Valve installed, then starting in 1968 ALL BB Mopar Heads used the 1.74" Exhaust Valve.
The 915's used in low-perf 440 engines in 1967 did indeed come with the smaller 1.60' Exhausts.... the old story that "if I had a nickel" rings true here, because I've enlarged LOTS of 915's from the 1.60" to accept the 1.74" or even 1.81" back in the day.

BTW
NICE C-Body ! very kewl....

Challenger340, good point, I should have mentioned the raised/increased short side radius on the 915's which was used on the 68-70 906's. I must have just been lucky to only pick up 915's with the larger valves.

I've not seen any flow numbers in a long time, but my honest opinion is don't port your big valve HP '915's because they are worth more as collector items untouched, than they are in use. My recollection is that the numbers are too close to care between '516's and '915's..... meaning, you could work on either one and get them to an Ok state, but since they don't compare to what you can grab off the shelf for cheap today, there's really no point. If you are into nostalgia, then run 'em. (I do). My 2 cents, Lefty71

Lefty, I agree porting old heads is not worth it unless you do it yourself & have the heads. Lots of good stuff available today. Not the case in the '70's & 80's. The 915's would out flow a 516 at higher lifts (much above .500 or so), but a ported big valve 516 would do fine at the lower lifts.

agree with most of the above re 915 heads and ported earlier heads which can be made to work with some work
now about the 2 miles to work
no low temp thermostat- you gotta get heat to burn off the condensation
and I'd go to wallmart and get some eurospec 0-w 40 oil (MB 229.52 and BMW ll spec) will flow much better for those two miles especially when it gets cold

Auto Transport Service
Back