• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

528 stroker build

mopardemon

Local time
6:37 PM
Reaction score
Hi guys looking for some help on building my stroker, looking for about 750HP
the heads I have are the trick flow 270
Victor intake, 950 HD carb,
This is the cam crower recommended https://www.crower.com/searchresults/?part_num=f19155&x=0&y=0
and was thinking of going with 440 source rotating assembly, I have a girdle for it, the block has not been touched (standard bore) as of yet, Its going in a 70 gtx dana 4 speed and 354 dana rear, looking for all the help I can get.
thanks jim

I built a 526 using the 440Source kit, Indy MW heads and intake. So a very similar build to yours. I ran various combos on a Desktop Dyno program and the cam I chose is a Lunati grind similar to yours with 585/600 lift. The only point I would make is that you need a shrouded lifter or oil is going to pour out the lifter bores. Crane 66550 are a great choice.

TF 270 heads are MW aren't they? Is the intake a "Super" Victor ??

Mine is a 4.503 bore x 4.150 stroke Hemi. 10.5:1 pump has street/strip engine.

Mine up to 7600.

Last edited:
TF 270 heads are MW aren't they? Is the intake a "Super" Victor ??
Yes they are. Running a standard port intake on those wouldn’t be the end of the world, but obviously not preferable. The 240 head would be better suited to the combo given the gear and cam. Some of these combos posted confuse me as to the purpose of their design. We still don’t know the static compression ratio or how the car will be used and what the build goals are so there’s not much advice that can be given in my opinion. I can say that I would recommend some higher quality parts than the mentioned rotating assembly.

looking for a compression of 10.5-1, Im not a pro at this, looking for all the info and help I can get, the victor intake has been ported to match the heads
as for the rotating assembly its not purchased yet, what I have so far is block, intake, heads and carb, I also have a set of 240 trickflow I bought last year from the flea market, looking for the best setup not a problem to change the intake

There's nothing wrong with the 440Source bottom end for a strong street motor. And I don't think I waste the time and effort to install the girdle. I would use aluminum main caps.

What's wrong with the 440 source bottom end, they claim people make over a thousand with them just fine, but I don't have experience with them.

This is the cam crower recommended https://www.crower.com/searchresults/?part_num=f19155&x=0&y=0
and was thinking of going with 440 source rotating assembly, I have a girdle for it, the block has not been touched (standard bore) as of yet, Its going in a 70 gtx dana 4 speed and 354 dana rear, looking for all the help I can get.
thanks jim

Look for some of the posts from Andy F. He did some Trick Flow 270 builds. For 750 HP, I think you will need a larger solid roller cam, and the Max Wedge port size intake manifold. The 950 carb may also be on the small side.

What's wrong with the 440 source bottom end, they claim people make over a thousand with them just fine, but I don't have experience with them.

Nothing's wrong with them unless you're a China hater.

Nothing's wrong with them unless you're a China hater.
It’s not about being a China hater or whatever the social shaming term of the week is. It’s about getting more for your money. I’m sure you’ve heard the phrase “everyone has the money to do it over, but nobody has the money to do it right” . It applies here. I use a fair amount of Molnar cranks and rods and they’re imported. The difference is the specified tolerances Tom requires and the level of QC held before it gets shipped. Your crank may be fine but if it’s not, now you have a .010 crank that cost you as much as a crank that holds .0002 on size and needs nothing. The rods are lighter and stronger and finished to a tighter tolerance and with the right hardware. Your builder may catch any issues before it takes out a bearing or maybe not. If you’re building it yourself, why take the chance? Most likely won’t even have the tools to do so. I’m not knocking the source but rather recommending better value. I’ve used nearly every brand of parts out there, so that and a dollar will get you a cup of coffee. Take it for what it’s worth.

thanks jim
did shaun Dart19666 pick the cam?

thanks jim

First question is why do you want 750 hp? Second question is are you sure you want 750 hp? Third question is can you afford to build a 750 hp engine? If you really need 750 hp and have the money to build a 750 hp engine then you'll need a different intake manifold, cam and carb. A 440 source rotating assembly might be okay for 750 hp, really depends on the piston choice. I doubt they have a piston that will work with those heads to give you 750 hp but you'll have to do some more research on that.

A Victor intake with a hyd roller cam and a 950 carb will get you up to 625 or 650 hp on a 528 pump gas engine with 270 heads. If you are shooting for 750 then you need to start over. Your factory block isn't going to last all that long at 750 hp so be prepared to rebuild the engine on a regular basis.

Is this a pump gas engine for a street car or a race engine for a race car? A 750 hp race engine for a drag race car is an easy combination to build, just order the parts and put it together. A 750 hp street engine is really tough to do. My low deck 470 made 750 hp on pump gas with 270 heads but it wasn't really something that you would put in a street car. Not to mention it cost over $20,000 to build.

Thanks for the wake up call andyf, your correct I don't need 750 hp for the street/strip and it is a pump gas motor I'm looking to do, I might of gotten ahead of myself,
any suggestions on what to use would be appreciated. what I have, a set of trickflow 240 and 270, victor intake and a holley 950, the power I was looking for I wanted under 6000rpm if that helps.

You should just buy my motor. Built for exactly what you're after - B-body, 4-speed, 3.54 geared, gobs of torque and all in by 6000.

under 6000
better look at some engine masters style builds
blower or turbo

Thanks for the wake up call andyf, your correct I don't need 750 hp for the street/strip and it is a pump gas motor I'm looking to do, I might of gotten ahead of myself,
any suggestions on what to use would be appreciated. what I have, a set of trickflow 240 and 270, victor intake and a holley 950, the power I was looking for I wanted under 6000rpm if that helps.

For a street driver I'd build a 505 with the 240 heads and a modest hyd roller cam. The Victor intake is fine for a 505 or use a Trick Flow intake that has been deep ported by Hughes Engines. Your 950 carb should be fine or put a Holley Sniper on there. I'd go with something in the 9.5 to 10.0 for compression ratio and then use a 1 3/4 header. An engine like that should make 600+ ft lbs of torque and will make around 600 hp on the dyno. If you use the Sniper it will start and drive like a newer car but still pin your ears back.

If you want more power than that then find a World block and build a 540 at 4.50 x 4.25. Then use the 270 heads with 10.1 compression and a bigger cam. I think you could hit 700 hp in a pump gas street car with the bigger bore size but cam choice would be critical. If I was building the engine I'd budget for three cams since it is hard to hit the target on the very first shot. I also think that EFI is required to hit 700 hp for a true street car but at that power range you are out of scope of the inexpensive kits so you would need to step up to the more expensive MPFI kits. A 700 hp 540 inch street engine with MPFI would probably cost at least $25,000 if not closer to $30,000. Take a drive over to For Hemis Only and talk to them about what it takes to make a 700+ hp engine for a street car. https://forhemisonly.com/

Im willing to live with a 505 and that hp and torque, I have spoken to guys there, they wanted close to $8000us for an aluminum block, cant seem to find an aftermarket cast block

Last edited:
Auto Transport Service
Back