• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

6.1 545rfe

mgivens710

Local time
6:12 AM
Reaction score
Im in the middle of a 6.1 hemi and 545 rfe install in a 68 charger. I had read the the 545 would could be installed with minor modifications with a hammer and grinding the the fins on the trans. It looks like that the cross member is going to have to be cut to get the trans and engine level and have ground clearance. I would appreciate some guidance and possible pictures to see how much has to be done.

I am doing the same thing in my 68 Charger. You will not be getting by with with minor modifications. The TB cross member needs to be cut out and the tunnel needs to be widened out and raised up about 1 1/2". If you are using the stock K frame you will need to beef up and replace the section of cross member you cut out. You will need to refab your transmission cross member to fit also. The 545RFE is cable operated so you will need to use a Locar or B&M shift cable. I used a 03 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4wd shift cable and re worked it to fit mine. It needed to be shortened about 18" and both ends reworked. The 6.1 uses fly by wire throttle control so you will need to deal with that also. My car has AC so there is no room for the fly by wire gas pedal between the steering column and the heater box. I am using a bell crank assembly from a 03 Ram truck to get the fly by wire out into the engine compartment. If you don't have AC you won't have that problem. Here are some pics of my install. Not yet complete so I don't know how much do and redo I am in for. Hope it helps. 100_6520.jpg100_6529.jpg100_6536.jpg100_6538.jpg100_6539.jpg100_6542.jpg100_6543.jpg100_7341.jpg100_7346.jpg100_7348.jpg100_7359.jpg100_7397.jpg

Thank you, that's exactly what I needed to move forward. I couldn't tell are you using the stock shifter?

Or you could run a small block 727 with a gearvendor setup. That's what I might do if I get the kick in the pants to do a swap. No tunnel work just bolt and go.

- - - Updated - - -

Six, looks nice, keep us posted on the progress. I have been wanting to do this swap for a while now too.

Auto Transport Service
Back