• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

6.1 for $1200

chrisd

Local time
7:45 PM
Reaction score
I'm crossing my fingers here. I've found a guy who's ready to replace his 6.1 because it smokes and he's asking $1200 for his 6.1. I'm not sure of the year, but I've heard the car run and it doesn't sound bad. I've been reading the posts here to try and cover all the bases.

It's gonna need a total rebuild and they are not cheap! I hope you know all 5.7 & 6.1 Hemi's have a inherent problem with heads and rods. Heads have the exhaust seats epoxied into the head and when they let loose you usually window the block (from the multiple ones I have seen) some had less than 75,000 miles on them, the rods are powder metal rods also = Junk, I was going to buy one and put it in my Charger until I found these "faults" Build a 400 stroker! :headbang:

It's gonna need a total rebuild and they are not cheap! I hope you know all 5.7 & 6.1 Hemi's have a inherent problem with heads and rods. Heads have the exhaust seats epoxied into the head and when they let loose you usually window the block (from the multiple ones I have seen) some had less than 75,000 miles on them, the rods are powder metal rods also = Junk, I was going to buy one and put it in my Charger until I found these "faults" Build a 400 stroker! :headbang:
I am pretty sure the valve seats are not epoxied in. I believe they shrink them with liquid nitrogen and heat the head then set them in place and let both expand. Which if you overheat the head will cause the seat to fall out.

I think these engines are pretty good and reliable for what they are. Personally I'll be running a 5.7 in my Coronet. I have one in my truck and love it. Though $1200 for an engine needing a rebuild seems a bit pricey. Thats twice what I paid for my 5.7 with less than 60k miles on it in running condition.

I'm very interested in where ya'll are finding these motors. The cheapest I've found is about 2K. And that's for a 5.7. I haven't found a junk yard with one yet. I think they pull them and sell them off at a higher price. As far as a 6.1 vs.a 400, I'm after drivability and gas mileage. I drive 100 miles round trip to work and would like to drive this car to more than just shows. I want something reliable, modern, and something that gets better than 6 miles to the gallon. And, maybe I've missed a lot of information somewhere, but if they're that bad, why are there so many swaps?

Keep in mind the ls1 and such have factory powdered metal rods. Since your gonna rebuild the motor dont sweat it, also the 6.1 uses factory forged rods, pistons and crank and has oil squirters. Do your research and you see that 1200 bucks is the deal of the century.

Got more ??'s, just ask, and take alook over on fabo, the a body guys are head deep into the swap.

True LS1's have powdered metal rods and the first thing the serious guys do is swap them out for forged rods and matched pistons to get rid of the dreaded 6.0 piston slap/knock.

Keep in mind the ls1 and such have factory powdered metal rods. Since your gonna rebuild the motor dont sweat it, also the 6.1 uses factory forged rods, pistons and crank and has oil squirters. Do your research and you see that 1200 bucks is the deal of the century.

Got more ??'s, just ask, and take alook over on fabo, the a body guys are head deep into the swap.[/QUOTE

Yeah, the price about floored me. now just gotta make sure he'll go through with it. Thanks for the info, I'll be sue and ask if I can't figure anything out.

Where do you guys get this stuff about the 5.7 and 6.1. The internet is a powerful tool, but half the time it is full of crap. I have been doing LX's for 5+ years. I build motors, design cams, do tuning etc. Most of the "facts" in this thread about the new gen hemi stuff is wrong and needs to be "fact checked"

Where do you guys get this stuff about the 5.7 and 6.1. The internet is a powerful tool, but half the time it is full of crap. I have been doing LX's for 5+ years. I build motors, design cams, do tuning etc. Most of the "facts" in this thread about the new gen hemi stuff is wrong and needs to be "fact checked"

So what's right and what's wrong? My hemi owner has all but disappeared. So I won't be getting this motor, but what can you tell me? If it's good enough for a new SRT, I can't imagine why it wouldn't be good enough for my driver.

Kinda curious of whats incorrect. Let us know so we get it right and make better decisions on what parts we need/want/dream about, lol.

They have little to NO problems with rods. Even though they are powdered metal. The LS motors have no rod issues really, they stretch rod bolts.

There have been some issues here and there with guides, but it is almost always due to an overheating issue with something else as the root cause.

Guides are absolutely NOT epoxied into place.

They have problems with PISTONS. The top ring land is way too shallow and it knocks a chunk out of the pistons. The pistons are not forged either. In NA applications the stock pistons are fantastic. 7.5-8 PSI of boost and they give up the ghost over time

Thats what I learned from reading different forums. Good to know that others have come to the same conclusion.

powdered metal isn't a huge problem. Is it the best material? no but it's good for quality-cost. Good enough for what most of us will put our hemi's through on a daily basis.

agreed, you don't see many rod failures in the ls motors or the gen 3 hemis

I've got a 2010 SRT8 Challenger and the pistons are the weak link in this motor(if you want to boost it). The crank is forged and the only reason you should go with forged rods is because you are replacing the pistons! Lots of guys running stock 6-8 lb. boosted motors with no problems.

Yup that is the safe spot. I have tuned about 15 boosted 6.1 hemis so far this year. They make good power and hang together at 6-8 PSI. That is about the sweet spot where you don't have to redo the entire fuel system.

agreed, you don't see many rod failures in the ls motors or the gen 3 hemis
626a78e6.jpg

:hmh: lol thats a piston out of the 08 5.7 I bought for 100 bucks with a slight rod knock lol. They do break but this would be one of those rare occasions.

That's funny!!

I have a 5.7 sitting here that a rod let go, it happens from time to time. this one made 570 rwhp on lots of boost......for a little while anyway :)

Auto Transport Service
Back