• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

6.1 Hemi in 70 Challenger

soundcontrol

Local time
3:34 AM
Reaction score
Hi Hemi swappers, I'm just getting started with this. My car started out with a 340/727, (original engine was a 318) that I took out and got all fixed up with all new parts, I was gonna drive it like that for a few years then get a Gen 3 Hemi, but I didn't get it ready in time for this summer because of work eating up my time, so I decided to just go ahead and do the swap now instead. I bought a 6.1 Hemi out of a 2006 Charger, I got the engine with all accessories, a NAG1, pedals, shifter, harness and computers. My main headache now is IF I should use my 727 or if I should go ahead and build it with the NAG1. I really want the interior stock, with the shifter and console, a Charger shifter would not look good in there. But I also want an overdrive....Have 3:55 in the rear..... Hard decision, will make it soon. I know very little about the new engines, I will learn as I go. I think thats one of the resons I do this, love to learn new stuff. Driving the car is fun, but I seem to enjoy the work more than the driving. Last pict is the engine swap in my first Challenger in the 80's. 383 to a 440 with a 6-71 blower. I loved that blower, maybe this 6.1 Hemi ends up with one later. :icon_pirat:

Attachments

• 440-Blower.jpg
    440-Blower.jpg
    145.6 KB · Views: 945
  • Hemi.jpg
    Hemi.jpg
    84.7 KB · Views: 1,009
Here's my first question, what is this connector? It's on back of the head, drivers side.

Attachments

• IMG_2863.JPG
    IMG_2863.JPG
    47.7 KB · Views: 720
MANY more issues with the NAG1. I know. I'd have been done a year ago with mine, if I'd gone with another trans.

What I can figure out from the research I've done so far for the NAG1, the issues:

• Crossmember mod.
• How to get the oil stick tube to fit
• Custom made driveshaft
• Tone ring and sensor for the speed sensor
• Computers and programming
• The shifter
• Harness
• Headers that fits

Any other issues you had with yours?

What I can figure out from the research I've done so far for the NAG1, the issues:

• Crossmember mod.
• How to get the oil stick tube to fit
• Custom made driveshaft
• Tone ring and sensor for the speed sensor
• Computers and programming
• The shifter
• Harness
• Headers that fits

Any other issues you had with yours?

That's a good start. We've worked out most of the stuff.

http://www.forebodiesonly.com/forum/showthread.php?7651-Ma-s-cuda-A-long-time-coming

Thanks guys, wow, mmissile, thats a great thread, I will read go back to it a lot for reference. What a nice backstory on your car!
And you made your own headers, that one of the biggest problems for me I think, can't find anything that fits a NAG1 with the stock suspension. Nice work to fit the shifter! Will the stock console fit well over that? I wish my car had that level of finish, right now its undercoated, and I will not remove it at this point, I'll do a full resto later. Other than the engine swap I'm installing a complete new suspension from Firmfeel, brakes from Wilwood, a hydraboost system, Vintage Air, a new cloth top. Interior will come later. Well, even with all the extra work, your projet makes me lean towards the NAG1 even more now. Headers worry me the most, TTI say theirs wont fit, wonder if thats correct, (they also say their exhaust wont fit a rear swaybay either, but it does).

Last edited:
When I did the 6.1 in the cuda I believe we used the nag 1 and the tti headers did fit. Also I had to make a custom crossmember

Very interesting. There is 2 kinds of TTI's, one for The NAG1, says it dont fit cars with T-bars, only coil overs. And one that fits tranny with stock starter location, and T-bars. Do you remember wich ones you used? I can handle slight modifications but building headers from scratch is probably too difficult for me.

It's running coilovers and I think I had to massage one little dimple in the header but that was because of the stock powersteering box. If I remember correctly.

Aha, OK, yeah, they have headers for NAG1 with coilovers. But I got T-bars, I guess thats why mmissile made his own.

I see, really the coil over conversion was well worth everything. Viking double adjustable coil overs are just $650 for the front pair from magnum force. Well worth the investment. And the ride is amazing. I also put Hotchkis adjustable strut rods.

Dump the Nag-1, use a 727 with a gear vendors. All your problems are solved and now you will have a 6 speed automatic.

I see, really the coil over conversion was well worth everything. Viking double adjustable coil overs are just $650 for the front pair from magnum force. Well worth the investment. And the ride is amazing. I also put Hotchkis adjustable strut rods.

I was choosing between AlterK and T-bars for a while, I decided to go with the T-bars, wanted kinda old school suspension, and I was inspired with the Hotchkiss Challenger. And I got all the suspesion stuff already, Firmfeel.

T56 - It's a cruiser so no stickshift in this one, maybe my next...

- - - Updated - - -

Dump the Nag-1, use a 727 with a gear vendors. All your problems are solved and now you will have a 6 speed automatic.

Been looking in to that also, lotsa cash for the GV stuff though.

Looked in to GV, not as expensive as I though, hmm. 2795, and then I need to shorten my driveshaft I guess. Any tunnel mods? I'll keep researching. I don't like the NAG1 shifter, looks like it came out of a Toyota. If I go NAG1, I will have to be able to use my stock shifter somehow.

Stock shifter wont work as far as I know and tunnel mods will be necessary if you use the nag-1. You might need to use a hammer on the tunnel in a few spots for the gear vendors, but that is it. Carpet will still fit and nobody will be able to tell you have a gear vendors.

No need for tunnel mods on a b body but e bodies need to have their tunnels massaged for the gearvendors

Thanks guys, wow, mmissile, thats a great thread, I will read go back to it a lot for reference. What a nice backstory on your car!
And you made your own headers, that one of the biggest problems for me I think, can't find anything that fits a NAG1 with the stock suspension. Nice work to fit the shifter! Will the stock console fit well over that? I wish my car had that level of finish, right now its undercoated, and I will not remove it at this point, I'll do a full resto later. Other than the engine swap I'm installing a complete new suspension from Firmfeel, brakes from Wilwood, a hydraboost system, Vintage Air, a new cloth top. Interior will come later. Well, even with all the extra work, your projet makes me lean towards the NAG1 even more now. Headers worry me the most, TTI say theirs wont fit, wonder if thats correct, (they also say their exhaust wont fit a rear swaybay either, but it does).

Thanks. Thought you might wanna see actual pics of a conversion. All the info I got for my particular setup, came from trying and fabricating...as most people were full of **** about stuff. The NAG is the best of both worlds, with a 3.50 low gear, and overdrive. I'm using a 2.94 rear gear. It'll still kill the tires down low, and big-end like a modern car. Most people are intimidated by the complexity of the NAG1 conversion, as well as the cost. I see things like that, as a dare.

Auto Transport Service
Back