• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

6.1 hemi in 70 road runner. wat do i need?

tymann010

Local time
9:14 PM
Reaction score
hey guys im kinda new at this.. i got a 1970 road runner clone im working on and i wana put the 6.1 hemi and 6 speed transmission in it.... i was curious on if anyone knew wat all i need to have it hooked up or wat might need modified or if any companys make a kit that will alow me to do it.. any lil help on wat all harneses or any little things i will need to do this is greatly appretiated... thanks to all that help!

Alright tymann it's your lucky day cause I'm gonna help get ya on the right track.

1. Do you want to use the stock computer? If not, this opens up all kinds of doors for ya. Fast, Megasuirt, AEM etc can hook you up.
2. You'll need motor mounts, headers (all from TTI), intank fuel pump preferred but not necessary, although highly recomended.
3. Electric fan(s) depends on where and who you get a radiattor from, inlet/outlet hoses are on the same side for the 6.1 or car 5.7.
4. Stock computer can be programmed to due away with the auto trans so if this the way you go, contact Hotwireauto.com or Hotrodlane.cc or Bouchillonperformance.com or Modernmuscle.biz (dave weber is a hell of a nice guy). Either one of these places and probably more, can hook you up with a wiring harness for the stock application and it's plug and play also they can reprogram the computer.

Got more questions, just ask. Also do a search for Hemi swaps, you'll find all kinds of stuff.

I have a friend that is installing a 6.1 in a '69 Charger and he has run into some issues. The K member had to be notched so the oil filter would clear. He has the TTI headers and they do not fit perfectly as the power steering gear box comes into play. There are some other issues too but I would talk with him. If you get on Moparts his user name is BLOWN71X. Rick is a Chrysler mechanic and has about 30 years of experience so I would trust his knowledge.

Get the 45 degree adapter so you dont have to notch the k-frame. My TTI's fit with power steering with no problems, did he use the TTI motor mounts?

thanks 5.7 hemi that helped alot yea iv been doing alot of research on this. its wat got me started on it.. but is there a difrent cross member mount i willl need cuz iv seen on kits for the t55 5 speed trany they make a kit that has a diffrent cross member but dont have it seperate and didnt know if someone makes that eles were that would work with the t56 6 speed. also will i need to change out my clutch pedal and all that and use newer set up from like the new challengers and one other thing will i neeed to change out the gas tank to a difrent one thats more up to date?? thanks appretiate the help!!!!

Trans mount should come in the kit that you buy, or fab one up if you got a trans from the wrecking yard. Your clutch pedal will be fine, but Im sure the newer style trans uses a hydraulic clutch so a master cylinder will be required. Use your stock tank just put an intank pump inside and your set (tanksinc.com).

alright that works thanks! if i run into anymore problems ill sure to ask and i will up load some pics later of the work!!!!!

Auto Transport Service
Back