• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

6.4 and Tremec TR-6060 in B Body

Bandolero

Local time
7:25 AM
Reaction score
Evening Fellas,
After several years of searching I have found a rolled 392 Challenger. It is a 2011 maybe a 2012 . The car is equipped with the 392 and the 6 speed manual. The car is currently a convertible but the jagged edges suggest the roof was removed in the collision lol. Getting to the point. I can buy the whole car for around $5000 which may or may not be a good deal. I want to install the 6.4 and the Tremec TR-6060 in my 69 Charger but after searching and digging there's does not seem to be any consensus on how to do this. Before I drop 5k.... what all would I need off the Donar car to run the factory fuel injection system? I don't mind going Carburated if it saves a lot of headache but since the car is there I could get most all the electronic parts if I was willing to cut some bent metal here and there. I basically want the engine and transmission which have 11k miles on them and want to know what other components I would need if anyone knows. Forgive the long winded post but I don't post often :) . My car is currently a 318 3 on the tree so obviously some surgery would be needed. Thanks in Advance for the help

You'll need the engine, trans, computer, all engine acc. such as alt., compressor, power steering pump. The call Dave Weber at ModernMuscle, they are a vendor on this site---------->. He can then set you up with reflashing the computer and provide the tid bits that you'll need, fuel tank, pump, etc..

OK is there just one ecm I need to worry about? Hopefully it's towards the front of the car as the rear is toast but I guess I could find it. Also all those accessories fit?

All of them fit on the engine in the engine bay without issue. You only need the ecm which is in the front of the car.

ive done that swap, tr6060 is a pain but can be done. when i did it a year ago headers were not available as the starter is on the passenger side with the tr6060, i had to make headers for it, there may be headers now i dont know. the whole trans tunnel section has to be remade taller. torsion crossmember has to be cut severely and then a new arch made. there is no speed sensor on the tr6060 so i mounted an abs reluctor wheel and sensor to the 3rd member yoke. tr6060 has no bleeder for clutch. i had to t-off the hydraulic line and make a riser line that was above the reservoir, worked perfectly didnt even have to pump the pedal to bleed it. you will have to get an adapter for the driveline and run the collapseable type of driveshaft. efi fuel system. change the oil pan to fit crossmember and steering.

I've installed a Viper T56 in mine which is basically the same tranny, it requires allot of work but after a whole summer of driving it let me assure you it's worth every bit of it and then some. $5,000 for that low mileage sounds like a no brainer, buying all the stuff including the tranny new will run you at least that so I'd go for it. I did a thread on the tranny install (viper t56 install) that will give you a good idea of what's involved also Keepat has a thread where he's done a great job as well. I'd be happy to answer any questions you might have just shoot me a P.M.

I have started a swap project long time ago with my 68 Charger (318 to 6.1L). At this point I have everything in boxes except transmission. In 2009 the T56 was a dream, but now there are more options.
@Bandolero suggested that in now days there is more sense to have rollover Challanger (2009 - 2011 with HEMI 5.7, 6.1 + TR6060) then by brand new T56 form Keisler and pay same 3k and I agree!
My question is, does the Challengers stock 5.7+TR6060 Belthousting can be used in 68 B-Body (of course some cutting is inevitable..) or it must be swapped on some QuickTime Belthousing with no questions asked?

To fit the tr6060 exactly as it came out of my donor car in my 69 charger the only option I found that made sense was cutting the floor hump up to the firewall out of the rolled challenger and using it as a guide to to cut the stock floor hump. It is significant as the entire center section of the car is going to be cut out. Your console or buddy seat is a goner and you have to fabricate new bracing and supports. The console out of the challenger fits quite nicely with some tweaks and you can connect the ac vents in the console to your dash hoses. I'm no Gen 3 hemi expert but fabrication is fairly simple for me. I didn't mind all the cutting but if you have a numbers matching car or a hemi car.... keep your 833 or get a passon

Grate advice @Bandolero on swapping Challangers-donors center floor section (did not thought of that)! So i guess i could even modify and use Challangers transmission support bracket!
Btw, after installing TR6060 on B-Body with stock belthousing... I'm wounder where does shiftier will come out? I believe somewhere along seats vertical support..yes?

I had originally 318 engine (filled with water..with all the consequences.. ) and 727 Automatic (that i lost ...dont ask how.. :) ). So I steeped on swap-project road at the beginning and there is no way back for me now. A specially since I'm doing all this in Latvia and there are no room for second guessing. :)
So grate then! Thank You!

Yes, this is interesting way, but as i sad definitely more expensive then having a donor!
Thank You for insights @Bandolero !

i put the tr6060 in mine behind the 6.1, my body guy scalped the hump, an added about 2.5 inches and reweld back in place. hardest thing was putting in the arch over the trans. we pieced a 1/4 inch piece of metal and fit it in with the factory trans support.

ResizedImage_1397354237931.jpg ResizedImage_1397354184055.jpg IMG_20140603_201202_123.jpg DSCN1406.JPG DSCN1407.JPG IMG_20140726_172459_723.jpg IMG_20140814_154949_290.jpg

Totally awesome!We are in the middle of dropping our 6.1 srt8 into 70 bee. Do you have any pics of the crossmember
not sure what were going to do really appreciate help.

ResizedImage_1397354624879.jpg
ResizedImage_1397354568023.jpg
0813142104.jpg
IMG_20150523_181852_247.jpg

heres what i got, i think i got more. if you go to members projects and go find the thread "my 70 barn find" it has the build so far. it goes in oct for the dismantle and we are redoing the cross member, this is a photo type. new one will more rounder an smoother. thanks and good luck on your build.
http://www.forbbodiesonly.com/moparforum/threads/my-70-barn-find.36844/

Last edited:
Man I tell you what a job looks really good and gives us a
good starting point really appreciate the pics! Did you have
linkage on that trans looks so good still trying to get that
togeather.

Totally awesome!We are in the middle of dropping our 6.1 srt8 into 70 bee. Do you have any pics of the crossmember
not sure what were going to do really appreciate help.

Check out my posts starting on pages 93, 94, 95 . . . it shows my process for fabricating the cross member - we had to go through about 5 iterations of how to do it until we got something that we liked - and worked . . .

got lots of pictures and text describing my thoughts and my process . . .

i put the tr6060 in mine behind the 6.1, my body guy scalped the hump, an added about 2.5 inches and reweld back in place. hardest thing was putting in the arch over the trans. we pieced a 1/4 inch piece of metal and fit it in with the factory trans support.

Hey,

I have a TR6060 from a Challenger to put in my '67 Barracuda. What did you use for the shifter? Also, where did you get your driveshaft?

Thanks,

Steve

The shifter I got at a show its a repo style hurst shifter. The driveshaft I had a company THE DRIVESHAFT SHOP make it for me. It was around 700 for it. They have a spread sheet for doing these swaps. Once you get the motor an trans in get the car on all 4 wheels and get the measurements and they can whip one up for. The info and instructions are all on there website. I don't know if there is other options. I like this one cause they balance it up to 9600 rpms.

Auto Transport Service
Back