• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

62 1st outing the good, and the bad

dvw

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
10:22 PM
Reaction score
Tested yesterday. The good; engine runs well. Appears to have decent power. Suspension hooked great with initial set-up. The bad; Scaled at 3575 race ready. About 150lbs more than we expected. Pretty sure we have a converter issue. At times the trans showed over full. We bypassed the cooler. Fluid is fine. Drained and checked, no metal. Made the 1st pass. Old 2 step wiring was still looped. 4500rpm max. Fixed that. 2nd pass hit the limiter (7500) at about 900ft. It did run ok early in the run. Pull it apart this week and see.
Doug

1683374350404.png

It didn't sputter o hestate on the leave. That's about all I can say in one partial pass.
Doug
Thanks Doug. It sounded fantastic in the YT video, at idle, throttle response seemed brisk and responsive, and at all RPMs, I couldn't hear anything either hesitant nor hungry, as may have been the case if the mods were detrimental.
I would expect that the mods would naturally improve idle and low to mid RPM performance, and I'm hoping that extends all the way to the rev limiter.
Again, when I saw what you created from an "aluminum shoebox" that I have consigned myself to at least start with for hood clearance, if it clears my hood, I'm likely going to stay with it, and considering the once in my lifetime investment this stroker engine is, I don't want to debilitate it with the intake.
Good job!

Timeslip Looks pretty solid, Doug! Im sure you guys will get it sorted out. 7500 at 900 ft. Seems like a fairly big miss in gearing. Are you saying that you think it’s driving through the converter? what was the expected stripe RPM? What’s the gearing and tires size Combo?

The data log showed 21% on this pass. The next pass it was on the limiter on the 1/2 then the 2/3 2 seconds into the run, which we aborted.
Doug

The data log showed 21% on this pass. The next pass it was on the limiter on the 1/2 then the 2/3 2 seconds into the run, which we aborted.
Doug
Still a great shake down start. Could it be walking through the convertor by what seems like a slightly off 1/8?
Final MPH seems to match the ET give or take a few.

It's actually about 5-10 mph low. My bet the converter isn't wrong, it's broke. It's fresh back from Turbo Action.
Doug

Timeslip Looks pretty solid, Doug! Im sure you guys will get it sorted out. 7500 at 900 ft. Seems like a fairly big miss in gearing. Are you saying that you think it’s driving through the converter? what was the expected stripe RPM? What’s the gearing and tires size Combo?
4.10 w/10.5×29.5 Pro Bracket radial. This motor will probably pull to 7500. But we started conservative with gear. There is definitely something wrong converter or trans. If it is the trans. It's some weird issue I've never seen in 30+ years building Torque Flites. My son just texted me. Out of the trailer It wouldn't drive up his driveway. No forward or reverse. It drove into the trailer Friday.
Doug

4.10 w/10.5×29.5 Pro Bracket radial. This motor will probably pull to 7500. But we started conservative with gear. There is definitely something wrong converter or trans. If it is the trans. It's some weird issue I've never seen in 30+ years building Torque Flites. My son just texted me. Out of the trailer It wouldn't drive up his driveway. No forward or reverse. It drove into the trailer Friday.
Doug
I run the same tire, currently with a 4.56 gear. Its yet to see a 1/4 mile pass. scheduled to make full passes on the 20th. I’ll report what that combo yields.

Doug
Is it a pushbutton with two pumps?

If my car did 130 in the quarter, I would kiss the first girl I could find....

Is it a pushbutton with two pumps?
Push button with rear pump delete. Manual low band apply VB with a brake. Coming out of the trailer last night it wouldn't go forward or back. Should be pretty easy to diagnose.
Doug

I put a 8" 5500 in my car (unknown used) and had great 60 fts but lost around 8 mph. So I guessed that the sprag was broke. Took it in to our guy to open it up, and he gets back and says " there is no sprag" .
That answered that question .

Automatic transmission design, while I'm not completely clueless about it, I could still say is a mystery wrapped in an enigma to me.
I can actually see how a manual transmission works.
Then again, I wouldn't personally try to repair the guts of either, and I have huge respect for those who do!

I put a 8" 5500 in my car (unknown used) and had great 60 fts but lost around 8 mph. So I guessed that the sprag was broke. Took it in to our guy to open it up, and he gets back and says " there is no sprag" .
That answered that question .
When a sprag is broke the stall speed will be lower.

Auto Transport Service
Back