• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

62-65 B Body big blocks and the 440 source oil pan

BenH

Local time
12:04 AM
Reaction score
I wanted to share this info in case it saves anyone some time and money, I searched for a while when putting together a 440 for a 65 SAT and never got a definitive answer.

The 440 source 6 qt hemi pan DOES NOT FIT. It doesn't even come close.

Happy Holidays.

Thanks,
Saw a few bad reviews pop up from 2010.
If you can somehow review your experience on their website, that would be helpful too.
Potts

I'm sorry, but that is not a huge surprise. The 62-65 k-member is different from later k's, and never had a hemi, therefore never a hemi pan! What works in a 66 up b-body probably won't work in a 62-65, and that would definitely include a hemi pan.
A milodon 30930 will work, but hang an inch or two below the k-member. My exhaust hangs lower.

Last edited:
so what was done in the 64 b bodys with a Hemi for the factory race cars?

so what was done in the 64 b bodys with a Hemi for the factory race cars?
They probably used the maxwedge six quart pan, which does fit. But do you really think a race hemi was stuck using a stock oil pan?
Edit: Dave 64 beat me by a minute.

different shape im guessing, Im also guessing the 440 scorce pan is a copy of a latter model pan. Now i want to know....not that im ever going to put a hemi in my 64 but I want to see the pans side by side to see for my self. Any one have pics of these pans? whats a max wedge pan look like? what did the pan look like on a nascar car from back in the day?

Later hemi pans have been copied for quite a while. Original Maxie pans before they were repopped were a $1000 item. The repops were originally $500-up, don't know how much they are now.
Sump is definitely a different shape, in a different location than the hemi pan.

I'm sorry, but that is not a huge surprise. The 62-65 k-member is different from later k's, and never had a hemi, therefore never a hemi pan! What works in a 66 up b-body probably won't work in a 62-65, and that would definitely include a hemi pan.
A milodon 30930 will work, but hang an inch or two below the k-member. My exhaust hangs lower.

It wasn't surprising and I'm not sorry about it either, it needed to be tried and I needed to share that it 100% does not work, because no one else had.

I won't share a bad review about it either, because it is advertised as E body and 'anything else you can make work' .... so that wouldn't be very fair. If they have a positive review or a shared experience thing then sure I'll go let them know. Mostly I'll just hope a google search turns up this page if anyone goes down the 62-5 road with the same idea.

Ironically it was a forum member that recommended the 440 Source oil pan to begin with.

Several other style pans do work, not just the Max Wedge, but I am sure you are just referencing what was available before the latter even existed.

<3

edit: also, a large number of people like to toss around the word ''K member notch'' in order to make these work, which is also very wrong information. I'd hate to see someone go cut a meaningless triangle out of their K member just to discover it won't help anything at all.

Last edited:
In my '63 Dodge MW build, we used the Milodon 31010. I modded the sump, and removed 1.5", to gain some ground clearance. As a precaution, I also ground away about a 1/4" from the main frame seam, where it's close to the corner of the pan. The pick up tube also needed to be shortened. Fitment was very good, and looks decent.
I'm preparing for my '65 Coronet build, with a Gen II Hemi. I bought another Milodon 31010 for that, but don't plan on modding it, as it will hopefully see a bit more track time, and want the extra oil capacity on it. I did remove the clearance from the K member already.

The following will fit although the pan hangs down a bit. Both are available from Mancini.

MRE547 oil pan
MOPP4529565 pick up

I put a Milodon on my factory MW. I dimpled the pan enough so it doesn't interfere when I rev or toque the motor. I was NOT going to cut my original K-member.

They had & used a their own unique hemi pan in 64/65 but are not repro & harder to find than a original max wedge pan.
The repro max wedge pans are probably your best option with the least amount of headaches but are very sad excuse for even being restoration correct.

The 62 thru 65 B cars had the motor 2 inches father forward than the 66 up b body cars . I had the same problem with my 65 car and a lakewood scatter shield , the Z bar did not line up with the factory bracket until I moved the motor back 2 inches . Just food for thought John

Here’s the repop maxie pan. IIRC, ~$300 on fleaBay.

maxie-pan-jpg.jpg

I used the 440 Source 7 quart pan. It fit fine in my '64 Polara with just a couple little (quarter sized) notches taken out of the "K" member for clearance. It hangs down a couple inches below the "K" member but ground clearance is still enough to take on just about any speed bump. Steering clearance is tight but still more than adequate.

IMG_5266a.jpg

IMG_5689a.jpg

Last edited:
Thx for all the feedback and suggestions.

Considering using the pan & pickup off the 361 since it is a factory BB car and obviously the stock pan will have no problems.... I just don't really get excited about the idea of a 500hp 7 liter with a hi-flo oil pump only running on 5 quarts...

If not I'm simply going to go online and buy something new, I am not worried about factory accuracy since nothing about a 440 being in this is accurate.

If you're looking for more capacity with minimal hangdown, the milodon mentioned above in my earlier post. It has the triangular shaped sump with more capacity without being as deep as a normal deep sump pan
Clears on my 62 with a 440.

For very annoying reasons I can't fully explain, the stock 361 pan bottoms out on the stock 361 pickup when installed in this 440, so that is what I will probably end up buying.

I could modify the 440 source pickup to work with the 361 pan I suppose in order to leave the original pickup unmolested, but the 440 source pickup comes dangerously close to a crank weight already so I think that's off the table too.

Auto Transport Service
Back