• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

62 727 torque converter help

XMAN JR

Local time
7:38 PM
Reaction score
Hey everyone this is XMAM JR down here at my sisters. Need some help with my dads 62 polara. I need a 3200-3500 stall torque converter. The only thing I can find out about them is that the converter has to be for a 62- 65- trany. Is that right ? & they are very hard to find. Some thing about the different amount of splines. Now I could take the one I have & get it worked on but I need to get this done so I can take it to Carlisle this year. I will check in later today to see if anyone has any ideas. Thanks

The '62 - '66 has a 19 spline input shaft. '67 and up has a 24 spline. The best way to have use of a high stall converter with one is to have the input shaft changed to a 24 spline.

I had my 19 spline modified through my trans shop, a outfit that they use, and I can hardly tell any difference. They told me they can't get much out of the stock converter. I haven't really put it to the test yet. I do know it's tight at idle. That's all I know about the subject.

The '62 - '66 has a 19 spline input shaft. '67 and up has a 24 spline. The best way to have use of a high stall converter with one is to have the input shaft changed to a 24 spline.

I had my 19 spline modified through my trans shop, a outfit that they use, and I can hardly tell any difference. They told me they can't get much out of the stock converter. I haven't really put it to the test yet. I do know it's tight at idle. That's all I know about the subject.
The one that's in it right now has FAIRBANKS stamped on it. The guy my dad bought the car from raced it. I seems to work fine but it has a wine to it when in gear. The trans has been completely rebuilt.

The trans shop I used is in Carslisle Pa.
Lupfer's 717-249-4903

Maybe they could put you in touch with their converter shop and they could take a look at it.

Fairbanks wasn't a bad converter back then to install a late conveter you a 67 and up non lock up input shaft. You also need a 67-70 marrow bushing comparable reaction shaft support. Easy swap, less than an hour with the trans removed.
Doug

Have to ask, was the whine there before the trans was rebuilt? Converters usually work like they should or they don’t. Just throwing out ideas.

PTC will build a 19 spline converter. They built the one for my 62 Plymouth, no input change needed.

Fairbanks wasn't a bad converter back then to install a late conveter you a 67 and up non lock up input shaft. You also need a 67-70 marrow bushing comparable reaction shaft support. Easy swap, less than an hour with the trans removed.
Doug
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Here's the ticket,you won't regret!!

The engine & trans was not in the car when dad bought it. My friend who built the trany builds them for street cars up to 8 second drag cars. He seams to think its the converter. Any ways. I just ordered one from DYNAMIC. Awsome to talk to & deal with. Good price & builds them to your cars specs.

Just curious why you're looking at 3500 convertor? You racing the Dodge or only street use? What's the motor and rear gears? Part of reason I'm asking is my '63 Plymouth after motor build up and convertor I'm afraid isn't a good marriage.

Just curious why you're looking at 3500 convertor? You racing the Dodge or only street use? What's the motor and rear gears? Part of reason I'm asking is my '63 Plymouth after motor build up and convertor I'm afraid isn't a good marriage.
Just going by what the engine builder said. 3200-3500 I gave dynamic the hp, tq, & gear size & he recommended 2600-2800 for a street car

Got a 440 62 dodge 3000 stall, 3:55 gears, 29 tall tires and comp roller hyd 460 Hp.
works great. 3500 a little high for street, just me.

I run a Dynamic street/strip 9.5 converter that will flash about 4200 at the track but it drives on the street like a normal converter. I love it as with the technology they have today a good converter shop can build you one to work like that. I can cruise down the road at 2500 or 3000 rpm with no slippage at all. Yet at the track it will flash around 4200 rpm and launch the car nicely for what it is. I never have any slippage when driving normal the way some converters did years back. I also had a sort of rattle/whine noise start in a Turbo Action converter I had in my old Dart years back. It had been in the car for years and worked great for a tight 3000 converter but this noise started after about 8 years with it in the car. So we changed the converter when we changed engines after my son bought it from me and the noise was gone. The Turbo Action was a great converter and I would use them again but the noise kinda sounded like a broken vane or something like that in the converter. Anyway a converter swap did fix it. Ron

I run a Dynamic street/strip 9.5 converter that will flash about 4200 at the track but it drives on the street like a normal converter. I love it as with the technology they have today a good converter shop can build you one to work like that. I can cruise down the road at 2500 or 3000 rpm with no slippage at all. Yet at the track it will flash around 4200 rpm and launch the car nicely for what it is. I never have any slippage when driving normal the way some converters did years back. I also had a sort of rattle/whine noise start in a Turbo Action converter I had in my old Dart years back. It had been in the car for years and worked great for a tight 3000 converter but this noise started after about 8 years with it in the car. So we changed the converter when we changed engines after my son bought it from me and the noise was gone. The Turbo Action was a great converter and I would use them again but the noise kinda sounded like a broken vane or something like that in the converter. Anyway a converter swap did fix it. Ron
When my dad bought the car it came with a FAIRBANKS converter so that's what we put in it. When you put it in gear (any gear) it sounded like a dry power steering pump.

Auto Transport Service
Back