• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

62 emergency brake cable routing

peakandscoot

Local time
6:11 PM
Reaction score
Can someone post a couple pictures of the routing for 62 plymouths. I have a 2 door fury convertible but im not sure that matters. I know it starts in the driver side wheel well and quickly moves to the center of the car across the top of the frame rail. I need to know the path once it gets over the top of the frame rail until it connects to the equalizer. I have seen some pictures in the past i think the back end of the cable goes through the cross member. I dont have the original cross member so i dont know where or how its connected. Please post pictures.

We discussed this for '64s recently.... If no one as better detail for '62s, I'll post up some of the pix if you think they will help you. HTH, Lefty71

Don't pay any attention to the springs that I'm useing to keep them off the exhaust...
20180325_162050.jpg

20180325_161817.jpg

20180325_161919.jpg

20180325_151408.jpg

20180325_162328.jpg

20180325_151708.jpg

Can someone post a couple pictures of the routing for 62 plymouths. I have a 2 door fury convertible but im not sure that matters. I know it starts in the driver side wheel well and quickly moves to the center of the car across the top of the frame rail. I need to know the path once it gets over the top of the frame rail until it connects to the equalizer. I have seen some pictures in the past i think the back end of the cable goes through the cross member. I dont have the original cross member so i dont know where or how its connected. Please post pictures.

Does the convertible have frame rail connectors or any other frame supports that a coupe or hard top doesn't have? Just curious.

Does the convertible have frame rail connectors or any other frame supports that a coupe or hard top doesn't have? Just curious.
No it does not But i did weld in frame rail connectors because i felt there was to much flex in the body. When it was off the ground on the rotecery you could not shut the doors. Back on 4 wheels i welded them in and my door gap are perfect when on 4 wheels.

Excellent routing of the cable! I see mine is totally f'd up after header/exhaust install!

It's a acually the factory routing just the X-pipe (exhaust) gets in the way. Straight dual exhaust would be a no brainer. It's why I used some old brake shoe springs to hold the adjuster piece off the pipe when not in use. I hate a rattle!

Here's a '62 factory 413 Max Wedge setup. You can see the added guides to keep the cables up above the exhaust.
Ramchargers article3.jpg

This comes out of wheel well, does it go through the frame or over it? Seems awkward if it goes over the frame

It does seem awkward but it goes over the frame and over the brake line. You'll see in my pics that I used a piece of hose on the cable.
20180314_173011.jpg

20180325_161758.jpg

20210131_162402.jpg

Clamp goes on the one gas pedal stud.
20180325_161707.jpg

20180325_161817.jpg

Factory location before I removed it.
20210131_162206.jpg

Thanks kid. Pictures are great. You have saved me a ton of time and lots of hair.

Auto Transport Service
Back