• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

62 Instrument Cluster/Bezel with Pic

FlagCraig

Local time
7:27 AM
Reaction score
Will I be able to take out the existing cluster/bezel and replace it with this one (pictured) without removing steering wheel? It looks like I can but just checking. Am I missing anything?
IMG_1041.JPG

I just want to replace the cover with a better one and then possibly get the other one re-chromed.

I don't want to do anything with the instruments at this time. Thanks.

I just removed my cluster. I had the wheel off because I was removing the whole column.
You have to remove the shifter and heater button surround (tiny little screws), then the four screws for the guage cluster. The main wiring harness for the guages are restrained by two "fold over" bands that you have to open to allow enough lenth to get the cluster out far enough to get to the back of the guages. Of course the speedometer cable needs to be unhooked too.
It's also easier to remove the windshield wiper switch from the cluster too (knob and locking ring). There is quite a lot of wires going to it.
Then once removed you will be able to disassemble the cluster. It doesn't take much to remove the steering wheel and it will give you more room. It would also be a good time to do the amp meter bypass if it hasn't been done yet.

20160717_184004.jpg

I had to run a tap in mine before useing the puller.
20160717_183848.jpg

20160717_203050.jpg

20160717_203350.jpg

Last edited:
Actually, you shouldn't have to disconnect any wiring from the back of the cluster. You could just remove the screws holding the piece that you're wanting to replace. You'll have to be very careful of the guage and speedometer needles, doing this in the car...
Screenshot_2016-07-21-12-47-34.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back