• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

'63 Dodge 440 (383 engine) Ballast Resistor

DartGTDan

Local time
8:33 AM
Reaction score
My buddy has the above mentioned car. He needs a ballast resistor, but doesn't know what ohm value he needs. The previous owner added Pertronix to it. The Pertronix website doesn't mention the ohm value. Does anyone know what he needs?

hHe needs to find out which model of Pertronix he has and consult with them.

The coil determines that a stock coil is .08 and the msd blaster 2 takes .04 ,if any one disagrees please chime in.

hHe needs to find out which model of Pertronix he has and consult with them.
ABSOLUTELY......Your best source for the information you seek is the manufacturer of the equipment rather than the "try this and if it doesn't work, try something else" method...... just my opinion of course.....
BOB RENTON

Last edited:
As Mr Renton said, coil will determine resistor. My coil does not require a resistor, it needs full 12 volts all the time. "Call" Pertronix and find out what coil n if he needs or nor a ballast resistor.

There is no 0.04 or 0.08 ohm bal res used on these cars.
If the OP retained the stock coil, then a 0.5 ohm BR is reqd for the coil.
If the owner has used a Pert module that fits inside the original dist, I am almost certain the module requires the full 12v. Pert website will confirm if this is correct.
If non-stock coil, then owner should check to see if it requires a BR. most canister coils do.

If the owner has used a Pert module that fits inside the original dist, I am almost certain the module requires the full 12v. Pert website will confirm if this is correct.
If non-stock coil, then owner should check to see if it requires a BR. most canister coils do.
Oh yeah them why do they list them? .25 .04 1/4 the point is it's the same I'm running this one on my car and think msd makes that one two with the 1/4 ohm

image.png

PLEASE.....USE WHOLE WORDS....not letters, like BR, or dist. Or Pert or bal or OP.....that way, some of us, will have absolutely no difficulty understanding the point you are trying to make.
BOB RENTON

Bob,
I am very confident that people can work out that BR means bal res in a thread that is about ballast resistors.....
If somebody doesn't understand...they will ask.
You must have a lot of time on your hands....

Bill,
post #3 &#7. Nobody makes a 0.04 or 0.08 ohm BR.

Just looked at the Blaster 2 instructions. Requires a 0.8 ohm BR, not 0.08 ohm.

Ok I put the numbers in wrong so 0.25 ohms and 0.80 ohms so it's my mistake .

ABSOLUTELY......Your best source for the information you seek is the manufacturer of the equipment rather than the "try this and if it doesn't work, try something else" method...... just my opinion of course.....
BOB RENTON
The FSM has them for the stock system along with the ohm value of the coil. Then check your ohm value of the after market coil andgo from there to match it.

Bob,
I am very confident that people can work out that BR means bal res in a thread that is about ballast resistors.....
If somebody doesn't understand...they will ask.
You must have a lot of time on your hands....
If you do not have the time, energy, or inclination or knowledge about your subject, then, do us all a favor, and say nothing. Your implication that "everyone" will know or knows what your abbreviated words mean is an incorrect assumption.....and incorrect assumptions will always yield incorrect or inaccurate results........... if BR means bal res.....say it....BR could mean "Bum's Rush" or similar colloquial exression.
Time on my hands.....not hardly....but enough time to know the difference between someone that thinks they "know" and someone that absolutely does "know" (me). There is an old US expression: "a little bit of knowledge is a dangerous thing..." ......sure sounds like that your comment: ".....non-stock coil, then owner should check to see if it requires a BR. most canister coils do."......"most coils" is not definitive....just speculation or a guess ..... why not be sure, b4 making a statment. If you want to debate this furthur, PM me with your argument.
BOB RENTON

That is a problem with forums, tons of experiance, learning an what I found on the NET. When we are gone what happens?

That is a problem with forums, tons of experiance, learning an what I found on the NET. When we are gone what happens?
Ray....true statment......perhaps I was too expressive....but having come from industry if something needs to be accomplished accurately, it must be explained thoroughly......and the same with the military....and following orders is paramount. Cheers
BOB RENTON

Everyone arguing about ballast resistors , abbreviations that went way off topic , Really

And the initial poster still has not given us any information to go on

Other then the word "Pertronix"

Bob,
You are the only person that has EVER complained, or failed to understand, about the abbreviations I use, on this forum or the numerous other forums I post on.
So take your nonsense & your Bums Rush somewhere else.

Bob,
I see on another, current, thread in this section somebody used the word ballast, but failed to add resistor. Maybe they meant ship's ballast. Are they going to get a 'lesson' from you too??

Auto Transport Service
Back