• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

63 Dodge running cold

318polara

Local time
12:19 PM
Reaction score
63 Polara 318... I've typically had the opposite problem on classics I've owned, but my Polara runs cold. The temp gauge doesnt go past 1/4 during the winter (if that), and I can confirm the engine is cool enough to touch 10 minutes after a 10-15-mile drive.

My first guess is a stuck open thermostat? Anything else to consider? I did notice it ran quite a bit cooler (and better) after a valve adjustment in the summer, if there's any correlation there...

Why not just throw a new Tstat in it ? Flush it and fresh antifreeze, you'll be good for years to come...

If it will not warm up in the colder weather...it is most likely a thermostat stuck open.

It's either the thermostat or I'd put a mechanical temp gauge on it to confirm temps. It could also be the gauge not grounding properly. That could be giving you bad readings.

I say t-stat also, but if you could verify the actual temperature with an infrared thermometer that would be good too. .

Auto Transport Service
Back