• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

'63 MAX Rear Brake Shoe Return Springs

maxwedgechar

Local time
10:40 AM
Reaction score
So I pulled the rear drums to check the brakes on the MAX. He needed wheel cylinders. I used the spring removal tool the wrong way and bent one spring out of whack and when I tried to install the other one it flew across the room and well it's gone! I ordered a spring kit from NAPA and the springs are the same length but smaller in diameter. I ordered the other kit that they listed, same springs. I ordered springs from AutoZone for a '63 Chrysler because the parts book says they're the same. I got more of the same springs. I found some backing plates off a '65 Imperial and they have the larger springs but the '65 Imperial spring kits I have ALSO have the smaller springs. Am I being a Weenie about this or should I just replace the springs on both sides and move on?

As long as they are the same length and you do both sides it should be fine. The smaller springs may still be about the same tension as the original larger diameter ones were. I really don't see a problem.

Auto Transport Service
Back