• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

63 Sport Fury wont start after driving

Wedgy

Local time
4:13 AM
Reaction score
My 63 Sport Fury with a 440 block and Max Wedge parts (2x4 crossram, Wedge exhaust, etc) starts up fine and after a 5 to 6 mile drive when it is turned off it will not restart. It cranks over but wont fire. It keeps cranking until the battery runs out of juice. I can hear the electric fuel pump running. If I jump start it it will fire right up. Battery is new and is mounted in the trunk. Any thoughts?
Inked20210218_141655_LI.jpg
20210218_141113.jpg

I had the same issue with my 64 and it drove me nutz! I stared at the ignition switch and checked everything…..I thought. My 64 was converted over to electronic ignition prior to me buying it so I had no idea as to how long the system had been in the car. After starting at the ignition switch checking for problems I started the car and then started to shake the wires in the motor compartment. As I got to the 5 pin connector at the ignition module and shook the wires the engine stopped. I started the engine again and it quit again within 10 minutes. I changed the electronic harness and the problem disappeared, engine started right up, ran better than it had and most of all…started every time after driving AND the battery no longer ran down.
The one thing that is different is it seemed my engine needed to cool before it would restart. I’m not sure if this will help you, what you explain is exactly what I dealt with except for not having to cool before starting.

I had the same issue with my 64 and it drove me nutz! I stared at the ignition switch and checked everything…..I thought. My 64 was converted over to electronic ignition prior to me buying it so I had no idea as to how long the system had been in the car. After starting at the ignition switch checking for problems I started the car and then started to shake the wires in the motor compartment. As I got to the 5 pin connector at the ignition module and shook the wires the engine stopped. I started the engine again and it quit again within 10 minutes. I changed the electronic harness and the problem disappeared, engine started right up, ran better than it had and most of all…started every time after driving AND the battery no longer ran down.
The one thing that is different is it seemed my engine needed to cool before it would restart. I’m not sure if this will help you, what you explain is exactly what I dealt with except for not having to cool before starting.
Thanks for your input. I will be checking the connections you suggested today.

I understand it’s a long shot but ya never know.

Auto Transport Service
Back