• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

63 vert power brake booster +++

63SPF

MOPAR 4 LIFE ! MOPAR OR BUST ! PLYMOUTH'S RULE !
Local time
4:23 PM
Reaction score
Aloha, I am about to install a 426 M/W in my 63 , car came with a 361, 727 pushbutton and Power everything, Brakes, steering and windows. even AC . Am trying to find out what would be the right brake booster to use for my car. Will be using cross ram intake and M/W exhaust manifolds. Don't think I will be putting AC back in car but if you have an ideas on ac mounting for crossram I am all ears. MANY THANKS, C

20151209_112414.jpg 01.jpg 20151209_112401.jpg 20151209_112449.jpg

Wow, is there anyone out there that has a BB power brake set up n their 63 ? Or a M/W set up that can help me. I am So tried of buying parts that don't fit and losing money because I cant resell them. Please any info is VERY helpful, C

Wow, is there anyone out there that has a BB power brake set up n their 63 ? Or a M/W set up that can help me. I am So tried of buying parts that don't fit and losing money because I cant resell them. Please any info is VERY helpful, C

Yes, I have power 4 wheel discs on my Fury but I also have headers. Doubt whether a booster would fit with max wedge manifolds but no first hand experience. I can post pics next week. I also have a Vintage Air set-up with the compressor mounted low on the driver’s side below the P/S pump on a fabbed mount.

Aloha, I am about to install a 426 M/W in my 63 , car came with a 361, 727 pushbutton and Power everything, Brakes, steering and windows. even AC . Am trying to find out what would be the right brake booster to use for my car. Will be using cross ram intake and M/W exhaust manifolds. Don't think I will be putting AC back in car but if you have an ideas on ac mounting for crossram I am all ears. MANY THANKS, C

View attachment 581324 View attachment 581325 View attachment 581327 View attachment 581328
I have a 1964 Polara 500 with a 500 cubic inch motor that runs around 16" vacuum at idle. I have given up on Power Brakes for the car and am switching it to manual brakes. Here is what I have found out being a similar situation as you:
1) Don't let people tell you that you have to run a certain vacuum or the brake booster won't work. There is no magical switch that turns booster on or off when you reach a certain level of vacuum. It is all based off the square inches of the plate in in the booster and the amount of available vacuum, less vacuum will mean less aid. But it will still work
2) My 1964 had a 10 screw (number of screws which hold the covers together) Midland Brake booster, the other style has the covers held together by a band. The bad news is I sent the unit out 4 different times to get rebuilt and each time it came back bad. The other thing to keep in mind is if you send your unit out for rebuild there are two different length push rods, make sure you measure yours before sending out. The second time mine came back with the wrong rod so the pedal was too close to the floor.
3) If your car was originally set up with power brakes the conversion units that everyone sells (SSBrakes, Performance Online, etc.) will not work, not matter what they tell you. They are set up for cars that originally came with manual brakes. There are two different support brackets that mount the master cylinder or brake booster to the firewall. They are different. The power brake bracket mounts the booster higher up to match the upper hole in the brake pedal. I did not try using a kit with the manual brake support bracket, but that should work.

Anyway long story short, I gave up on power brakes.

I don't think you will have room for a vacuum booster with the MW exhaust manifolds. You may need to go with a hydroboost type setup.

Saw this, so I was hoping for some help.
looks like M/W manifolds to me, with power brake booster
Anybody got any ideas ?

IMG_6119.JPG

Last edited:
I'm curious to hear more on this same subject myself as I plan for the engine / exhaust /brake build for my '64 Polara convertible. My car originally came with power [drum] brakes. I believe that I have a Midland unit too [see pic] so Grubby65 I'm sorry to read about your issues getting it rebuilt correctly.

My Polara didn't come with an engine when I bought it, so my thoughts were to go with a 1967 440 block, the A&A reproduction MW intake, and a pair of 3705 Carters carbs that I have. In order to keep my brake booster, I was going to use 1967 HP exhaust manifolds, but I'm being advised that this will choke down the motor too much making it difficult to tune, and that I should use either headers or the MW reproduction manifolds.

63SPF - I can't find any pics of our era cars with both the MW intake and the power brake booster. And if somebody was actually able to make this setup fit (like in the photo you were able to find) I'm wondering if the exhaust manifold would boil the brake fluid due to the tight tolerances?

After thinking about some posts I've read here on FBBO, I'm considering going with manual brakes with the front drum to disc brake conversion which will allow me to use the MW exhaust manifolds. That would solve my engine tuning problem, but how to these cars stop on manual/front disc brakes? Comments from those who have been there already are greatly appreciated. Thanks!

After I posted this, I remembered that I had found these 2 photos.... No MW exhaust manifolds, but the MW style intake and a brake booster is there. These were just on the internet, I have no idea whose car this is.

My 64 polara booster.jpg 450_p7_l.jpg 450_p8_l.jpg

Last edited:
Can't tell from the photos, what exhaust manifolds are mounted. Maybe 68-69 HP? That's what I have on my 440 MW clone.

Have manual/front disc...be able to say how they work, hopefully this month, if weather ever straightens out, and I go for inspection.
Bet some of the other guys have same brake set-up...maybe tell you more.

Mr Miller - I'll be very curious to know how you like your brakes when you get to point of test driving your car. Please keep me/us posted. :)

And I'm also curious to know how your motor tunes and runs on those exhaust manifolds with the MW intake. Can I ask what carbs you're using and what exhaust system you went with? Thanks!

Please keep me/us posted. :)
Sure thing. (And, please, no Mr. Just an old man, trying to get by.)

Fairly good motor pic, in my 'garage'. Couldn't afford some of the pricey parts, like the MW exh manifolds.

Motor is a fairly stock 69 440, 906 iron heads, bumped up a little cam, from the magnum cam. Just something to get me by. 63 model crossram, with 600cfm Eddys, stock 69 HP exhaust manifolds, cross-over blocked. Rest of exhaust is 2 1/2" w/H-pipe.
Not much on my tune, just straight up, using a Mallory dual-point. Initial timing is 14 degrees, 750rpm idle.
Only change I'm looking at, is making a new ignition wire harness, so I can route it as it should be. Just because it makes sense.

Last edited:
As u can see , I also have the HP manifolds on my 63 for now. plenty of clearance . I am also running Disc brake conversion with power . I would hate to put in my 426 M/W and have to run the HP Mani's.
It's just not the look I'm looking for . Also want to run the aftermarket AC. Sanden comp. just not sure if I want to run the stock AC unit or aftermarket unit under dash.
I Know its a lot to ask for , A 426 Max Wedge with Power steering , Power Brakes and Air conditioning , but my Vert came stock with most of it. Any and all help is Welcome , C

20160616_083229.jpg

I still use the original stock booster on my 63. Its an original 383 car and I use it with my 440/493 eng with headers and all fits fine. Don't know if it would work with max Wedge exh manifolds. Ron

409849854.jpg

Saw this, so I was hoping for some help.
looks like M/W manifolds to me, with power brake booster
Anybody got any ideas ?

View attachment 584931
I believe the booster/master cylinder in this picture is this raised 8" assembly. These are "listed" to work on a Max Wedge car, but I've personally never installed one on a Max Wedge. They certainly look like they should clear! As someone else mentioned above, it will ONLY work if your car was an original manual brake car.
booster.jpg

I believe the booster/master cylinder in this picture is this raised 8" assembly. These are "listed" to work on a Max Wedge car, but I've personally never installed one on a Max Wedge. They certainly look like they should clear! As someone else mentioned above, it will ONLY work if your car was an original manual brake car.View attachment 595808
Not sure I understand why it will only work if was a manual brake car ? My car came with power brakes , Now why would it matter ? Since you are changing whole unit. Confused in Hawaii ! Sunny days and Beautiful women will do that.

Not sure I understand why it will only work if was a manual brake car ? My car came with power brakes , Now why would it matter ? Since you are changing whole unit. Confused in Hawaii ! Sunny days and Beautiful women will do that.
The factory power brake booster has a much larger bolt pattern than a manual master cylinder does (something like 6" by 6" square). The adapter bracket on the raised booster kit lines up with the manual master cylinder bolt pattern, which is much smaller, like 2" by 3". Here is a picture of a power booster assembly; look how big the booster to firewall bolt pattern is vs. the master cylinder itself...
power booster.jpg

Aloha
I had stock power booster set up on my '62 and went through the same thought process recently in putting MW exh manifolds on. I didn't think they would fit so I just bought a manual master cyl and removed booster. (I also saw a pic of a early B with power booster and MW exh manifolds, but I reckon the booster is offset unlike our stock set up.) I have no regrets losing the booster and going manual drums - it still brakes very well. If you have front disks, that may well be a different case.

Power steering and MW manif can be a problem too. Both supply and return hoses are a bit too close for my liking! I will post a pic or 2 later...

I'll be very curious to know how you like your brakes when you get to point of test driving your car.
Finally got it out yesterday! Wasn't pretty. Unforseen probs came up. But, the 15 mile drive to get it inspected, went good enough.
My manual disc/drum brakes report...acted, and felt great. Didn't take much leg to apply, actually fairly easy, with some 'feel' on the braking.

Have to deal with the blasted speedo not working. Checked the gauge itself, right gear in the trans, new cable...just have to check things. Toss in a thermostat, figure out an oil leak, suspect the new and improved pan plug, and I'll get some miles on it.

So far, motor acts good. Need miles! First time on the road in 30 years!

Auto Transport Service
Back