• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

64 727 pushbutton question

deputydog

Local time
11:11 AM
Reaction score
I changed the pan gasket on my pushbutton 727 but seems the leak is the part behind the pan that I believe controls the shift points. What exactly is that called and anyone know what part number is for that gasket?

That little cover is for the parking brake pawl. Does it have a cable going to it? Just want to make sure we are talking about same thing

You should be able to make a gasket for it.
Adjustment access screw may also be leaking.

The red part is what I need a gasket for

C0F973F1-B156-47E7-A22F-0EF964492295.jpeg

The red part is what I need a gasket for

View attachment 1013515

Yes , that is the parking brake cover. There is a shouldered bolt that runs fore to aft. This bolt holds the parking brake cable to the cover. The cover is not super sturdy, pot metalish , so be careful. It looks like someone else has monkeyed with it, due to the 1 odd bolt in the cover.
If you havent done so, I'd download the FSM for adjusting both parking and gear selector cables.

PM me your address and I'll mail you one free.
Mike

Will do....I have a cottage just outside Ludington, not to far from White Cloud.

Can the cable o ring and gasket be changed without messing up the parking linkage or will I have to go through process of downloading the FSM and resetting everything

There is an access plug on the side which allows you to release the spring retainer with a small screwdriver or equivalent, that connects the cable to the park lock linkage. The FSM is invaluable for this procedure. IIRC, the cable needs released before you can drop the housing for a new gasket.

Will do....I have a cottage just outside Ludington, not to far from White Cloud.

Can the cable o ring and gasket be changed without messing up the parking linkage or will I have to go through process of downloading the FSM and resetting everything

Highly recommend downloading FSM especially if youve never have done this before. You do not want to damage the internal retaining clip that the cable end fits into. Yes I would change any o rings you run across, at least you have a good baseline knowing it should be leak free.
Also once you take the cover off, check it make sure its not warped. If it is a piece of 400grit paper on a flat surface to try to dress it up.

Auto Transport Service
Back