• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

64 Belvedere heater control buttons hard to push

retractable

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
5:17 AM
Reaction score
Is there a fix for heater vacuum controls that are very hard to push? I can get them to push in if I push hard and slow. Thanks

Have you ever been inside the control switch box? I'll toss a caution in here, since some of the parts and pieces can break easily. Mostly the vacuum hose fittings, and the button ball receivers.

Only thing that comes to mind, are the fiberboard 'sliders' inside the switch box. Could be wore out, maybe. But, not usual.

I rebuilt mine, by opening the box...carefully cut off the melted plastic tabs, that keep the cover in place. Back together, I hand drilled pilot holes at those locations, using small sheet metal screws to hold it together.
Those sliders inside the box, would have a light coat of brake pad type lube, to help them move. Maybe dry, old lube, or dirt, or bad wear is what's making the buttons hard to move. I cleaned mine, fresh lube, and works great on my 64 Ply.

Miller Thanks for the reply. I have not had any of the vacuum heater controls apart. I know what is inside and what is needed to take it apart. I was wondering if there is a way to lobe the buttons without taking it apart. Maybe there is not a way.

You bet. Pretty sure their lubed during assembly, with no way after.

I have oiled the switch and have had good results . I used some lubricating oil that was in a spray can and sprayed it around the push buttons -top and both sides. I let it sit for a day and the buttons are working and push much easier. I dont know if they will stay that way but so far it has worked. I can always take the switch apart later if I need to and use something different. I also have a spare switch.

Auto Transport Service
Back