• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

64 Belvedere hood to radiator seal and running hot

RHW2

Local time
7:35 PM
Reaction score
about my car....64 Belvedere with a 496 11.5-1 A&A Cross Ram Edelbrock AVS2 Comp hyd roller cam(can't remember the exact specs off hand something like 540 lift and 312 duration) roller rockers. Standard flow water pump (crank and water pump pulley are the same size) 180 stat Griffin alum radiator with 2 elec fans 410 Dana 60 with a Detroit locker......dynoed 532 hp at the rear wheels. The problem I'm having is when I'm driving in NON stop and go traffic anything over 40mph the temp goes to 210....but if I'm in heavy slow traffic it stays down around 190. The fans come on at 180 and stay on til temp goes down to 160 which never happens. This is backwards from what should normally happen. Any thoughts on what I may have overlooked???? I just picked up a hood to radiator seal but don't have any holes in the core support but can/will drill them in if this will help keep the car cooler but what I would like to see is some pictures of the seal mounted as well as pics of where the "ears" at the end of the seal go....any help or suggestions would be appreciated.....thanks, Mike

Mike,
I think the 65s are the same so here's a couple photos of my 65 Coronet.
Mike
IMG_2081.JPG
IMG_2083.JPG

532hp @ the rear wheels ... Crazy Impressive for that stated combo!

if your over heating /running hot at speed that's a sign that there's flow restriction of your coolant through your rad. normally I would say its clogged but I don't know the history. I,m betting you will say its new so its clean. then you need to find why the coolant is not flowing through it correctly. could be your water pump does not flow enough or the rad is too small but its not air flow its coolant flow.

Had this before. Rad hose sucking shut at speed. Does the lower hose have the spring ? If it does then I got nothing...

did this start from day one or after you have been diving it for a while? To me it sounds like the water is traveling to fast for the rad to cool it. Because you said it stays cool at 190 when in heavy slow traffic, the water pump is not turn as fast and the rad cools the coolant more efficiently then when you are driving down the road at faster speed, this is because the water pump is turning faster and the water speed is so fast the rad can't cool the coolant fast enough. Just my 2 cent worth.

So you’ve got a water pump pulley that’s the same size as the crank pulley?

if your over heating /running hot at speed that's a sign that there's flow restriction of your coolant through your rad. normally I would say its clogged but I don't know the history. I,m betting you will say its new so its clean. then you need to find why the coolant is not flowing through it correctly. could be your water pump does not flow enough or the rad is too small but its not air flow its coolant flow.

thanks for your reply.....close to new 22" Griffin Aluminum radiator (but have had this same problem with the old motor/stock radiator). The person at Griffin said NOT to use a high flow water pump so I didn't and used a stock 180 stat.

Had this before. Rad hose sucking shut at speed. Does the lower hose have the spring ? If it does then I got nothing...

thanks for your reply Darter6....yes, I bought a spring for the bottom hose

did this start from day one or after you have been diving it for a while? To me it sounds like the water is traveling to fast for the rad to cool it. Because you said it stays cool at 190 when in heavy slow traffic, the water pump is not turn as fast and the rad cools the coolant more efficiently then when you are driving down the road at faster speed, this is because the water pump is turning faster and the water speed is so fast the rad can't cool the coolant fast enough. Just my 2 cent worth.

thanks for your reply moes....it started from day 1 and I only have a stock flow water pump

Get a smaller pulley on the water pump. It’ll spin faster.

Get a smaller pulley on the water pump. It’ll spin faster.

the guy at griffin said not to get a high volume water pump and spinning the stock pump faster would have the same effect as getting a high volume pump

Auto Transport Service
Back