• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

64 Belvedere wagon differential upgrade

64plybelvwgn

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
4:47 PM
Reaction score
I want to replace the 741 carrier with a 489 carrier and clutch-type suregrip. anyone know which years will bolt in regarding spring perches and not too much increase or decrease in overall width?

also, if I want to swap-out the 64 pushbutton 727 for a later year, what is a good choice?

Thanks in advance,

I put a '70 RR rear end in my '64 Belvedere. I believe that a '65 - '70 should work.

I believe Histoy is correct. I put a '68 GTX rear in my '64 Belvedere. No problems. As far as width, I think the '64 Plymouth rearend is the widest B body rear from '62-'70, so any of those should work. Of course, '62-'64 rears will be tapered axles. You should be able to swap in any 8 3/4 third member without changing the housings if that's all you really want to change.

Most charts will state that 62-70 is all the same width but they actually vary a bit. I've found that the 66-67 rears are a bit shorter than the 68-70 by about 5/8 to 3/4". Not much but can make a difference if you are already tight. Never measured anything older than a 66. Spring pads are in the 44" range....

The 64 diff is something to the effect of 2 3/8" wider than a 63, they did this in an attempt to reduce understeer,they also moved the spring centre bolt back 1" in an attempt to soften the ride....that was Dodge,i'm only assuming that Plymouth did something similar.

I have a 67 Plymouth belvedere with the 273 V8. I am curious as to what transmission and rear end is in the car. All I really know the rear end has 3.23 gears and the transmission is a 3 speed automatic. As far as I know the engine, transmission and rear end are the originals that came with car. Any help would be appreciated.....Thanks

Last edited:
I have a 67 Plymouth belvedere with the 273 V8. I am curious as to what transmission and rear end is in the car. All I really know the rear end has 3.23 gears and the transmission is a 3 speed automatic. As far as I know the engine, transmission and rear end are the originals that came with car. Any help would be appreciated.....Thanks
Shouldn't be too hard to determine the rear. It's most likely an 8 3/4.

Mopar_axle.jpg

The trans pan will tell you what's in there. The 727 has an offset sticking out on the front right side and the 904 has a more of a square pan. Someone posted a pic of it here somewhere lately...

Thanks for the information. Maybe somebody can tell me what the transmission is.

Here's what the gasket looks like and so the pan follows the same pattern. Just get under the car and take a look. You can easily see the difference when looking from the passenger side. The top of the pic faces the front of the car....

Attachments

• 116_0302_trans05_z.jpg
    116_0302_trans05_z.jpg
    20.1 KB · Views: 156
Auto Transport Service
Back