• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

64 chrysler newport 361 v8 5.9l oil pan question

Marco Perez

Local time
1:23 PM
Reaction score
Hi has anyone replaced the gasket on a 361 5.9l v8 ? I got a 64 chrysler newport and it's leaking some from the plan I decided to replace the gasket. Can anyone give me some helpful hints ? Should I use a glue ? Or some type of bonder besides the gasket and I got 35 foot pds torque on drain plug and oil pan bolts at 15 foot pds... does this sound about right ? Any thing helps

Thanks ahead of time

Don"t glue it to the block, follow tightening sequence, and torque it up in more than 1 step.
Good Luck

Steam clean the motor.... check very carefully to make sure your leak is really the pan. If it is, when you pull the pan clean the mating surfaces very thoroughly and check the pan flanges to make sure nothing is bent at all. .... it doesnt take a lot of torque to seal..... so I like to use locktite, prefer blue on the pan bolts so nothing shakes back loose. Most importantly, check or even pull and clean the oil pan pickup and screen while you have it down.

Auto Transport Service
Back