• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

64 Plymouth Fury: power steering pump

g80panthera

Local time
12:39 PM
Reaction score
Hello all,

I'm a french owner of a 64 Plymouth fury 2 doors hardtop 318ci. I recently bought this one after 6 years with the same car but 4 doors hardtop and more rust on body.

I need your help to identify my power steering pump and find the correct seal kit to fix a huge oil leak. see picture below. Thank you, Fabrice

photo2.jpg

pompe_DA_1.jpg

pompe_DA_2.jpg

pompe_DA_3.jpg

Hi,

I sent a email to steer and gear. Thanks Mike

@Lefty: I read the post and if I understand this picture, I have a TRW pump?

I read Chrysler or Saginaw pump mounted for my car?

As this car is the only daily car we have, I would like to buy the right kit.

Thank you both, Fabrice
Federal_power_steering_brackets.jpg

Hi,

Thank you both, Fabrice
View attachment 1024562
Yes, it sure does look like a TRW pump.

Looks like a TRW pump, same one as in my '64 SF. Can get rebuild seal kits from Rock Auto for pretty cheap. Can also find pulley pullers on ebay for ~$25. You'll need that to get the pulley off the front. Don't try anything other than the proper puller, you'll end up messing something up and regretting it.

Looks like a TRW pump, same one as in my '64 SF. Can get rebuild seal kits from Rock Auto for pretty cheap. Can also find pulley pullers on ebay for ~$25. You'll need that to get the pulley off the front. Don't try anything other than the proper puller, you'll end up messing something up and regretting it.

YES! on the proper pulley puller. I thought I was smart and tried without one. Damaged my pulley. They are not very sturdy.....

YES! on the proper pulley puller. I thought I was smart and tried without one. Damaged my pulley. They are not very sturdy.....
Later on you can use that same puller to swap to the correct pulley on your alternator (1 or 2 row).

Hi All,

Thank you for your reply.

Steerandgear reply to my email and confirm a TRW pump.

I already ordered a pulley puller, it should arrived soon. I tried without the correct puller on one of my alternators and was a disaster.

On Rockauto site, I don't see a kit for TRW pump, only Chrysler or Saginaw pump: https://www.rockauto.com/fr/catalog...12,steering,power+steering+pump+seal+kit,7407

Thanks a lot, Fabrice

Hi All,

Thank you for your reply.

Steerandgear reply to my email and confirm a TRW pump.

I already ordered a pulley puller, it should arrived soon. I tried without the correct puller on one of my alternators and was a disaster.

On Rockauto site, I don't see a kit for TRW pump, only Chrysler or Saginaw pump: https://www.rockauto.com/fr/catalog...12,steering,power+steering+pump+seal+kit,7407

Thanks a lot, Fabrice
"Chrysler" pump can mean Federal pump '67 and later or TRW pump '66 and earlier. Look in the description, one of them says "slotted shaft", that's a TRW in my experience, never seen a Federal with a slotted shaft.

Trying to stay in the loop on this thread, because i may need this info as well....... I looked at the pump on my time capsule of a 64 Belvy, and the pump looks just like your pump shown in the pic in post #1. Yours (and mine) are more similar to pump "A" on the left in post #4, yet they do not have a return line like either of those shown. So, is that still the TRW pump??

Trying to stay in the loop on this thread, because i may need this info as well....... I looked at the pump on my time capsule of a 64 Belvy, and the pump looks just like your pump shown in the pic in post #1. Yours (and mine) are more similar to pump "A" on the left in post #4, yet they do not have a return line like either of those shown. So, is that still the TRW pump??
It seems most of the TRW pumps have a poorly soldered, 5/8” return going in sort of vertically. The one in the photo is less common.

If I were in France, being the squirrell that I am, I'd buy both kits, and try to pedal the other one i dont need or throw it on the shelf. Just sayin'

Hi,

Thank you both, Fabrice
View attachment 1024562

You live in France and your daily driver car is a '64 Plymouth with a Poly engine? Not sure if you know this or not but you're crazy. That car was okay as a daily driver in 1964 but it was an old car by the early 70's. It would be difficult to keep one of those working as a daily driver in the USA, I can't imagine trying to keep it maintained as a daily driver in France.

Hello Handyf,

As I said at the beginning of this post, this car replaces the same but previously with 4 doors. We used the first one as daily car for 6 years and about 42000 miles.
Both cars are driven by my wife as daily and me for end of week. Even if it's old, without another car, the cost is good compare with new cars and the pleasure is huge. We have a harley Sporster 883 too and my job is to buy, sell and repair jukebox as Seeburg, Rock Ola, Wurlitzer and Ami. you can see, we love USA.
Fabrice

Auto Transport Service
Back