• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

64 polara axle swap

zigs

Local time
5:52 AM
Reaction score
Question. Planning on a axle swap on my 64 Polara. I need to change backing plates and drums . Planing on 10x 2.5 . So can I use any of the internals , as brake adjusters or spredder bar , springs etc.

I don't know the answers 100%, but I like to open two webpages, both Rockauto.... look up your original application on one page and whatever your new axle came from in the other...pretty easy to jump back and forth and see what's different and what's the same.

I think so. I just changed my existing rear end in my 64 Plymouth to use the 65 up drums and all RH lugs. The internal brake parts look to be the same as the later stuff.

That's exactly what I just did to my 64 Plymouth. Except, I used a 11/16" hole saw without a drill bit in the arbor to cut the swages around the lug studs. Went slow, used plenty of oil, and got all 10 studs cut out with one hole saw. (I did break 3 teeth, but it kept working.)

That's exactly what I just did to my 64 Plymouth. Except, I used a 11/16" hole saw without a drill bit in the arbor to cut the swages around the lug studs. Went slow, used plenty of oil, and got all 10 studs cut out with one hole saw. (I did break 3 teeth, but it kept working.)
What axles did you use

I swapped my '64 Polara rear end to '69 Charger. The wheel cylinders and hardware kits were different between the two.

Auto Transport Service
Back