• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

'64 Polara Booster/Master upgrade

hitparader

Local time
5:20 PM
Reaction score
There's been a bunch of threads here and elsewhere about the general difficulty in finding good options for power brake boosters, especially the early B-bodies. (It's not great for the later cars as well, as this thread mentions). So for the past few months I’ve been testing different booster/master setups in my 64 Polara. This car is meant to tow a vintage trailer, so the brakes need to be solid. It was converted to 4-piston front discs a few years ago, but I never liked the pedal feel and response. After trying a few different factory and aftermarket setups (factory boosters, Dr. Diff Master, some MBM stuff, etc), by far the best for both pedal feel and stopping power was a Bendix dual diaphragm booster (1st gen, from an Imperial) and a Force 10 aluminum master. Booster Steve (Dewey has retired) rebuilt the Bendix, we swapped out the long Imperial pushrod for a 4 1/2" B-body rod. This let me keep the factory power steering firewall plate. And the casting of the master is super nice, much better than any parts-store brand. Very happy with both appearance and performance.

booster.jpg

I have used Bendix dual diaphragm boosters from late '80's to early '90's Dodge B-vans. You open the short hood and the booster is right there on a 90 degree bracket. It is easy to unbolt, without climbing under the dash, as you would working on a car.

Auto Transport Service
Back