• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

64 Polara Console automatic Shifter

avidflyr

Local time
1:54 PM
Reaction score
My 64 Polara is swaped out from a Poly 318 to a 70s 400 BB / automatic. The original console shifter does not seem to have the same shift (travel)detent pattern as the later 727 Tq Flite.
Is there a recomended after market shifter to work with the 70s 727 Tq Flite in the 64 Polara?

You must have something adjusted wrong, the valve bodies are the same. Unless you are saying that you are using a 66 or later 727. If so, we are taking a whole different program. I have heard of some that have converted the original shifter to the later 727 using a B&M cable.

1964 console and all 1965 automatics had a unique valve body for cable transmissions. you'll have to find a shifter for the 1967 and up valve body.

You can use a B&M cable, and your right, the detents are different. My dad figured it out on my Polara with the 545RFE trans. The end of the cable (shifter) had to have a hole drilled a bit lower and further back to make it work, so I don’t why it wouldn’t be the same for a 727 trans.

1964 console and all 1965 automatics had a unique valve body for cable transmissions. you'll have to find a shifter for the 1967 and up valve body.

That’s right, the console shifted valve bodies let the cable go deeper in for the park position. 65s did too for the column shifter.

Auto Transport Service
Back