• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

64 Polara Fender Tag Decoding Help

Matt62

Local time
9:55 PM
Reaction score
Althought I made extensive search on the WEB, I was unable to find reliable information about the fender tag. Help would be highly appreciated !
Polara_64.jpg

Planned build date: July 27
Sales order: 4257
632: Polara 2 door hardtop
H4Q: turquoise interior
JJ1: Aqua paint
A5: 727 tranny
C5: Polara 500 sport package
G6: seat configuration. Dunno
H2: windows. Dunno. Tint?
L1: dunno
R7: radio option. Dunno
S3:dunno
W2: dunno
04: dunno

Matt we need pics of this nice 64. I can't help on the decoding but sounds like you have the colors I'm looking fore.

Planned build date: July 27
Sales order: 4257
632: Polara 2 door hardtop
H4Q: turquoise interior
JJ1: Aqua paint
A5: 727 tranny
C5: Polara 500 sport package
G6: seat configuration. Dunno
H2: windows. Dunno. Tint?
L1: dunno
R7: radio option. Dunno
S3:dunno
W2: dunno
04: dunno

It's not a Polara 500. I read somewhere that C5 could be 383 engine ? L1 seems to be A/C so H2 could be tinted windows.

The problem is that different plants put the various codes in different places on the tag. I only have info. on lynch rd. and hamtramck, and they are quite different. The bottom line is the same at all plants. The bottom line is correct as stated above except that the fact it is a V/8 was not noted. The 5 under the A and C, could be 383 two barrel and auto trans., but that is a bit of a guess. If your car does have a 383 in it, the model year and date code would be stamped on the passenger side deck surface in front of the head. I'm sorry I can't be more help but unless you know where they put the codes on the plate you are just guessing. As an example lynch road has the engine code under the AB, but hamtramck has it under the QR. The codes are the same but the placement is different.

It's probably worth pulling up the rear seat bottom and having a look for the build sheet. It too is difficult to decode in '64 but the pieces can add up to make a more complete picture.

It's probably worth pulling up the rear seat bottom and having a look for the build sheet. It too is difficult to decode in '64 but the pieces can add up to make a more complete picture.

Unfortunately, there is a stroker engine in the car and the seats (front and back) have been swapped with 1963 seats. So no build sheet...

Auto Transport Service
Back