• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

65 4speed speedometer cable / Gears

jimbosride

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
5:38 AM
Reaction score
Getting ready to install the speedometer gears.... It is the early version rebuilt 4speed. I think this is the correct gear assembly? the speedometer works fine with a drill ... but the cable inside is to long? ... I guess it should go inside and the clip holds it together? should I cut the square cable to fit?

65 speedo.jpg

The clip on the plastic gear holds the gear on. Look into the end of that unit and see how far the square goes. That's how much cable you'll need past the outer housing. Don't make it too long and create a bind.

As far as that being the right speedometer housing for your transmission
i-dont-know-smiley-emoticon.gif

It looks like the gear isn’t completely on. The inner cable goes in from the top so if the cable was too long it would be sticking out of the speedometer end.

The housing fits the transmission..... maybe it's the cable routing. The car came with no engine or trans. I think this is the orig speedo cable.

speedo 2.png

The housing fits the transmission..... maybe it's the cable routing. The car came with no engine or trans. I think this is the orig speedo cable.

View attachment 1266915
Remove the clip.
Put the gear on as far as it will go.
Install the clip.

As I stated before the gear is not completely installed on the cable. You can confirm that easily. If the clip is not holding the gear on the housing. If it is installed correctly the gear cannot be removed from the housing with the clip installed.

The gear wont go in far enough in for the clip to hold it on. Looks like the correct cable.

spedo 5.jpg

Are you loading the cable in through the speedometer end or the transmission end. Where did you get that picture from?

I guess somethings not right. I guess I will remove the cable from the car and see if I can spot the problem. Is there only one cable for the early 4speeds? ... The last picture came off the forum when researching the issue. Also the gear maybe the issue... the car came without an engine or trans.

There is a seal inside the gear. If it's not in correctly that could prevent it from seating all the way down. Here is mine.

20220415_173551.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back