• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

65 B driveshaft length?

Badvert65

Local time
10:09 AM
Reaction score
I have a 65 Belvedere, 6 cyl auto, 8 3/4 rear. Driveshaft has the ball and trunion joint on the front. I am swapping in a (1972) 400 B engine and 727 automatic. My question to you guys with a similar setup: what length driveshaft are you using? The car is a 2 door Belvedere I post car. I have an assortment of driveshafts and I am hoping I have one that will fit without cutting. New engine combo is not in yet so I can't really measure anything at this time.

Best thing to do is be patient. Once the engine and trans are in, you should measure from the tail spline on the trans output shaft, to the u-joint yolk on the rearend.

As said above wait till the motor and trans are in. Then slide your yoke All the way in the tranny ( bottumed out) then pull out about 1/4" . With the rear in Free HANG under the car mesure from center of the U/Joint (tranny yoke) to the flat spacing on the rear yoke ( where the straps bolt on ) this is you drive shaft lenght. As the rear settles up into the car the shaft will pull out from the trans. So if you was to do the mesurement with it setting on the wheels you may get it to long and when you jake up the car and the rear hangs it will Bottum out in the trans and may do damige ?
This is my thinking on this and feel rite on it but if I am wrong in this thought someone please chime in !
Good luck and keep us posted .

Actually what I was instructed from the manual I have, and the driveshaft shop was to slide the yoke into the trans until it is 1/2 to 3/4 inch from the end of the balloon seal. No more than 3/4. With the car at Ride height, measure from center of the u joint to the face of the rear yoke where the straps bolt on. I had one built last week using this method and put 300 mile on it last week end going to a show. Worked awesome.

Actually what I was instructed from the manual I have, and the driveshaft shop was to slide the yoke into the trans until it is 1/2 to 3/4 inch from the end of the balloon seal. No more than 3/4. With the car at Ride height, measure from center of the u joint to the face of the rear yoke where the straps bolt on. I had one built last week using this method and put 300 mile on it last week end going to a show. Worked awesome.

This is also good info And if you think it through it is the same thing but just in another direction. Eather way you shoud get the idea with all this info.

Auto Transport Service
Back