• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

65 belvedere gas pedal low and not enough travel

Redfiretb

Local time
4:58 AM
Reaction score
Hey Guy's

This is my first post I attached some pictures of my gas pedal in a 65 belvedere with a hemi and dual quad elderbrocks. The car had this pedal setup when I got it and I want to replace it all. To me looks like I have the wrong throttle cable as well as an issue with the pedal linkage arm. My pedal is way to low and I cannot get full throttle. Do you guys think the linkage is bent to far? I was thinking of bending the linkage up some with a new cable but that will not move the pedal up that much. Is there something I'm missing or are these pedals just this low and on an angle? I did previously have a 68 gtx and don't remember the pedal being like this. You guys have any suggestions?

Also does anybody like lokar or something make an aftermarket pedal assembly that would bolt in as an option?

Thanks,
-Tim

IMG_20200308_200037.jpg IMG_20200308_200015.jpg IMG_20200308_200023.jpg ?temp_hash=8be47bf4c44a43c4943ea81f6a9adefb.jpg ?temp_hash=8be47bf4c44a43c4943ea81f6a9adefb.jpg ?temp_hash=8be47bf4c44a43c4943ea81f6a9adefb.jpg

What does the linkage under the hood look like? The cable at the pedal doesn't look too cool to me.....

That rig on cable isn't right.
But if he's going to remove it I have an antenna cable that could use a new guide wire clamp! The engine side cable clamp should have enough adjustment in it that you don't need the slack taken up at the pedal.

That’s the wrong pedal. The correct pedal should have the same (dot ) pattern as the brake pedal pad.

I have a new cable that I will be installing as well as the correct pedal (with dots) but they look pretty close I dont think it will make much of a difference. my main question was the pedal linkage arm seems to me that it should be bent up more, so they are closer to perpendicular which would allow more throttle travel as well as pushing pedal higher up.

also on the carb , there is a mopar linkage adapter for the edelbrock carb for mopar linkage, should lower the attachment location which would put the carb open farther.

also on the carb , there is a mopar linkage adapter for the edelbrock carb for mopar linkage, should lower the attachment location which would put the carb open farther.
Silversedan has the correct approach it's in the linkage attachment on the carb that's going to correct the problem.
I had that same problem with my car I shortened the pivet point I believe where the cable is attached.

You'll be a lot happier using a longer cable. Attach the cable at the front carb. Cleaner and less of a bend. Stock 6 cylinder cable works perfect. This isnt a very good pic. But the bracket that holds the cable mounts to the left rear stud on the front carb and the left front stud on the rear carb. It used the stock cable clamp.
Doug

64 Engine.JPG

Thanks guys! I didn't think about the actual linkage to the carbs as well I will look in new mounts and carb linkages.

As far as pedal position does mine look correct I feel like it's leaning too far forward like it needs to be more vertical. The arm that cable mounts to tight against firewall. How far up is the roller wheel on pedal arm supposed to up on pedal? Here is a Pic showing where it rests on my pedal.

IMG_20200308_200015.jpg

Pedal linkage does not look right. The roller should be up near the top of the curved section. Wrong year parts? You have nothing to lose by bending the lever up a bit. As stated,the engine side needs attention also.

This is the pedal setup on my '64 Polara. Yours should be almost identical. If you notice the arm should be at a 90 degree angle, not bent over as far as yours.

IMG_6429.JPG IMG_6430.JPG IMG_6431.JPG

I suspect someone Jerry-Rigged yours just to get it to work for a quick sale. You need to first replace the pedal with the correct one and then bend the linkage back so the washer fits in the proper location on the pedal. Then, as has been suggested, install a new throttle cable and attach it to the front carb, NOT the rear carb as it is now.

Thanks for the pictures! I knew it was off. I'm going to pull it off heat it and bent it up some. I already got the correct pedal for it.

I do have a question about carb connection and it being progressive, Isn't the back usually the primary carb? How does the linkage work with the cable hooked to front carb?

Thanks for all the help Guy's!

Picture is of AFB Hemi throttle arms front carb arm left pivot is shorter. Larger hole is for auto trans linkage.
arms.JPG

Picture is of AFB Hemi throttle arms front carb arm left pivot is shorter. Larger hole is for auto trans linkage.
Will these fit on the elderbrock carbs? I'm also assuming I will need a stock linkage again to connect the carbs? And those arms are used to hook the throttle cable to the front carb?

Will these fit on the elderbrock carbs? I'm also assuming I will need a stock linkage again to connect the carbs? And those arms are used to hook the throttle cable to the front carb?
Don't if they would work on eddies. Once you get gas pedal right, get rear carb to open fully first. Then work on front carb throttle arm. Guys that work on eddies may have advice .

I have been using a Lokar cable on my 63 for 14 years since I put it on the road. When I was done I could not get full throttle even with the cable as tight as it could go. So I went inside the car and bent that rod that the pedal hits on with the roller on it as I bent it up for more pedal travel and that cured the problem and gave me full throttle. Its been like that for 14 years now. Ron

413957239.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back