65 Belvedere transmission and 1989 360

1962 - 1965 Mopars

1. Timmayy

Timmayy Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    7:40 PM
    My wife's 65 Belvedere II wagon is needing more than I planned for. I've been on it for the past few years but I don't see it getting done to her liking for awhile. We decided to buy another wagon (67 Fury III) in much better condition.

Anyway, I figure I'm just going to make the Belvedere wagon into a fun ratty gasser type for me to putt around in. I'm going to pull the tired 273 and drop in a 1989 360. I know about the external balancing. My question is, can I convert the column shift to a B&M type cable floor shift? I believe the 65s had an odd type of shifting mechanism.

My other question is about the 89 360. Is that still pretty much like the older 360s or is it more like the later Magnums? I'm not sure because I'm taking bolts off with metric wrenches.

SHarons wagon.jpg

• Like Like x 2
    • F4R/T

F4R/T Well-Known Member

Local Time:
      6:40 PM
      It’s still the old style LA engine that may have a roller cam and decent heads.. Magnums flow more but personally I like the shaft type rockers, I have both engines. Both are great, heads are both known for cracks between the seats but otherwise rock solid.

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
      • 493 Mike

493 Mike FBBO Gold Member FBBO Gold Member

Local Time:
        The OEM shift mechanism uses 2 cables. I know of no aftermarket shifter with 2 cables but, maybe someone did back in the day? The 1965 column shifter was a 1 year only design. Not too hard to pull column and refurbish if the boot is good.
        Mike

Attached Files:

• Timmayy

Local Time:
        There's nothing wrong with it, I just wanted to go with a floor shifter.

• dvw

dvw Well-Known Member

Local Time:
        I'm assuming it's a 727. Use a 1964 factory floor shifter and cables. To allow a modern converter (67 and up non lock up) the input shaft and front pump needs to be swapped into the trans with 67-70 parts. Use the Jegs 601087 flex plate to keep the engine properly balanced. Your engine is a LA, not a Magnum.
        Doug

• Timmayy

Local Time:
        Will a 66 poly 318 Charger tranny bolt in?

• dvw

dvw Well-Known Member

Local Time:
        The converter pilot for that trans is smaller. 66 still has the early spline count in the transmission You need a small spacer, it's described in different literature, like Tom Condran's book called "Mad about Mopars". He calls it an adapter ring. To match any pre '68 LA engine to a later year tranny you need this. It's a simple sleeve with outside diameter of 1.81" and inside diameter of 1.55", half an inch thick. They used to be available direct from Chrysler, but not anymore. Apparerently Wildcat Wrecking had them available. 503-668-7786 www.wildcatmopars.com2-66).
        Doug

• Timmayy

Local Time:
        How about a 70s tranny? I can get one cheap from a local scrapyard that I know. I have other projects and just want to bolt it in and go.

• dvw

dvw Well-Known Member

Local Time:
        Yes, if you use and aftermarket shifter. Use the converter that came with your 360.
        Doug

• Like Like x 1
        1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
          By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.