• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

65 Coronet 8" wheels and 275 15"Tires

moparsrul

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
11:38 PM
Reaction score
I have seen several people running 275 15 tires on 65 B-Bodies. It doesn't look possible to me without messaging the inside of the wheel wells? I have a couple sets of the 15" x 8" Mopar steel wheels I would like to run on the back of my 65 Coronet and my 64 Polara. I know that I will have to have Stockton Wheel change the offset on the wheels. Does anyone know what the back spacing and what it takes with this combo?

a 275-60x15 will work with an 8" wheel and 4.5" backspacing.

275/60x15 on 8 1/2" Torque Thrusts with 4 1/2" back space fit my 65 Belvedere with SS springs.

im running 275/60 r15 wheel vintiques oem Chrysler 63 series rims with 4.5 back spacing on my 65 belvedere II and had some scrapping issues on stock springs super stock springs fixed that issue thou and everything is all clear

It depends...

Depends on the width of the rear. I put a later '68 B body width rear in mine to eliminate the '63 nutted axles. 4.5 BS here on 15x8 series 63 Wheel Vintiques.

All 275's are not created equally, either! My M/T ET Street Pro's are bigger than my street 275's. All fit in the stock '63 wheelwell, though.

Is Stockton Wheel back in business?
Have a set of Nitto's 275/50 15R with 11.18 sectional on Wheel Vintiques 15 x8" 4" back spacing with a 1968 Dana 60 S/S springs no problem on my 65 Dodge Coronet. 1/2" to 3/4" space from wheel well lip.
1965 Dodge 006.JPG

Last edited:
I welded up a set of 15x8's using centers cut out from a set of 14" rally wheels and welded them into a pair of 15" rings for my 71 Cuda. Ended up having custom offsets for each side. Don't remember what that was anymore but they differed about 3/8" of an inch from each other. The car had never been wrecked either. Had a piece of rear trim for a 70 Challenger that was a 1/4" longer so it didn't fit. It was NOS too. It fit my rag top but not the hardtop. Neither one of those cars showed any sign of damage either. I guess what I'm saying is to take the time to make sure both sides are the same before giving Stockton anything custom to make. Also, years ago their quality control was lacking. A buddy got his first set of wheels with an offset that was way off. Returned them and the 2nd set came back with Ford centers. The 3rd set wasn't right either but fit ok with 3/8" thick wheel spacers.

Is Stockton Wheel back in business?
Heard they were then heard the weren't then heard they were.....couldn't really say for sure if they are or not.

IMG_0010.JPG
I have seen several people running 275 15 tires on 65 B-Bodies. It doesn't look possible to me without messaging the inside of the wheel wells? I have a couple sets of the 15" x 8" Mopar steel wheels I would like to run on the back of my 65 Coronet and my 64 Polara. I know that I will have to have Stockton Wheel change the offset on the wheels. Does anyone know what the back spacing and what it takes with this combo?

I've got 15x8 Cragar GTs with 275R60/15s on the back of my '65 Coronet 440 with no problems at all. Wheels have 4.5" back spacing.

Thanks for all of the awesome feedback. I will go back to measuring. It definitely looks like 4.5" back spacing is the number. I'm hoping to not have to run SS springs on one of the cars if not both. I will also check out Stockton Wheel on being open and quality as I would really like to use the 15" x 8" steel Mopar wheels I have. Its just the Penstar marking. :)

Thanks 2LGT2QT Nice Coronet exact car and wheel combo I'm working on for this combo.

You shouldn't need the SS springs, I mentioned it because my car sits a little higher than stock.

image.jpeg

Thanks for clarifying that PRND21 and Sweet car I love the way it sits. What did you do with you springs to get that height re-arch them?

Thanks for clarifying that PRND21 and Sweet car I love the way it sits. What did you do with you springs to get that height re-arch them?
Thanks for the compliment. Belvedere has 3800 lb super stock springs with about 30 psi in the air shocks. I adjusted the torsion bars until it looked right. I never really cared for the low rider look, although I've nothing against it, just personal preference. And really didn't need the air shocks, except that with 4 people in the car I'd get a slight right rear tire rub.

I may go that route ultimately then the car looks right I have seen some that sit super high with
the SS ? Thanks again!

Thanks for the compliment. Belvedere has 3800 lb super stock springs with about 30 psi in the air shocks. I adjusted the torsion bars until it looked right. I never really cared for the low rider look, although I've nothing against it, just personal preference. And really didn't need the air shocks, except that with 4 people in the car I'd get a slight right rear tire rub.

Where did the tire rub? Was it on the spring side or quarter panel lip? If your backspacing was changed would the tire rubbing go away?

The tire rubbed above the lip. I guess you'd call it the outer wheelhouse? Probably another 1/4 inch or so of backspace would clear, every car is a little different.

15X8 Welds with 275/60-15's were on my car with no rub issue. 4" or so on back space.

IMG_0404.JPG

Auto Transport Service
Back