• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

65 Coronet Motor position

Endangered Species

Local time
11:56 AM
Reaction score
Hi guys, I need some insight. I'm going from the Elephant Ears to a Motor Plat and I made a new mid plate.
The motor sets perfectly level side to side. It's drops to the back 2 - 2 1/2 deg. which Equals about 1" drop.
The problem is my trans is still a little too high in the tunnel. Would taking it to 3 degree's hurt anything?

Thanks for your help!

Kevin

You can. Just the pinion angle may be strange. You'll have to raise the nose of the pinion to compensate. Can you lower the front of the motor? Mine is similar to this. The front of my motor sets higher than stock. The angles can be sorted out. However the carbs get closer to the scoop, drag link thru the pan may change, header fit changes. All things to look for.
Doug

TTI had a stock motor position measurements on there website. I can't find it, only took a quick look. If you can't find them maybe call them?

I have two problems.. one is the tail shaft is a little higher than the transmission crossmember. 2) I took a long section of Schedule 40 pipe and ran it from my tail shaft to the rear end and hits the top of the yoke.
In my mind... wouldn't I want the tail shaft in the same plane as the Pinion yoke?

As Fran mentioned TTI has a stock position chart and it shows that the Crank C/L should be 6" up from the Crossmember. Mine is 5" so I really don't want to lower the front anymore... Not to mention, I'm going back to my old Milodon 9qt pan, so clearance will be an issue.
As Doug said, I will have to double check the drag link clearance.

Thanks again guys, I really appreciate you help

As long as the crank C/L and Pinion C/L are parallel under acceleration all is good. It doesn't matter if one C/L or the other is slightly higher. In a static condition the pinion will be pointed downward of the crank C/L. The number of degrees will depend on rear suspension type. If the engine is 3 degrees down at the rear, the pinion will need to point up 3 degrees minus the pinion angle desired for your rear suspension application. For example; My ladder bar setup needs an extra 1.5 degrees to compensate for axle rotation under load. My engine is 3 degrees down at rear. The pinion is set at 1.5 degrees up. This results in a 1.5 degree down pinion angle. Under acceleration the pinion raises by 1.5 degrees to the 3 degree number resulting in both U joint angles equal under acceleration. The angle of the driveshaft itself means nothing.
Doug

Okay, so your motor is 3 deg. down in the rear, so if I drop it another 1/2 degree I won't be out to lunch.
Which brings us to the pinion angle... I really appreciate it, because the whole pinion angle thing loses me, I'm sure it because I'm over thinking it...
But by George I think you just cleared something up for me.
I'm running ladder bars also. So if I take my engine to 3deg down in the rear, I will need take my pinion angle up 3 deg, then subtract 1.5 to have it pointing up 1.5 deg total.

Thanks again!

Okay, so your motor is 3 deg. down in the rear, so if I drop it another 1/2 degree I won't be out to lunch.
Which brings us to the pinion angle... I really appreciate it, because the whole pinion angle thing loses me, I'm sure it because I'm over thinking it...
But by George I think you just cleared something up for me.
I'm running ladder bars also. So if I take my engine to 3deg down in the rear, I will need take my pinion angle up 3 deg, then subtract 1.5 to have it pointing up 1.5 deg total.

Thanks again!
Yup

The crank centerline & pinion centerline are not necessarily in the same plane. That's a function of rear springs. As said they should be parallel except with the pinion angle nose down about 3*, IMHO.

Thanks 66!

This thing is driving me nutz. I have the crank centerline lined up perfectly side to side with the pinion yoke, but now the transmission crossmember doesn't line up. :cursin: I took the week off from working on it so it doesn't drive me insane. LOL
I'm going to get back on it next week.

Thanks again.

TTI stock engine location chart.
tti1.JPG

Thanks Fran,
The motor is setting perfectly as per the TTI sheet. I have that very copy. Side to side is off set exactly 3" to the passenger side. The motor is setting about 5 1/8 off the k member. This is what has me so befuddled. LOL

Didn't mention earlier. I would never build another early B body race car without making the tunnel larger. 2" higher, 4" wider. Stock has pedal still fits. Though custom carpet may be required. Along with trimming the K frame. Makes life easier.
Doug

Yha Doug your right. It's cut as close to the peddle a possible. Had to so I can use the CSR shield.

Yha Doug your right. It's cut as close to the peddle a possible. Had to so I can use the CSR shield.
That car has been running all these years with that big inch Hemi, so why all the movement of the motor? And what happened to the CalTracs ?

Hi Larry,
Back when Dad was running it, it was only a 498, then a 518 in 2013. It's a 572 now. Ladder bars went in back in 13 or 14. Bob George put them in.
I didn't change the set back, I only changed the mounts. I went from elephant ears to a Motor plate, and I made a new mid plate, the old one had been pretty hacked up over the years.
The motor always sat really low in the car, so I put it back to stock. Other than that I didn't change anything. You my dad... he hates change. LOL

Hi Larry,
Back when Dad was running it, it was only a 498, then a 518 in 2013. It's a 572 now. Ladder bars went in back in 13 or 14. Bob George put them in.
I didn't change the set back, I only changed the mounts. I went from elephant ears to a Motor plate, and I made a new mid plate, the old one had been pretty hacked up over the years.
The motor always sat really low in the car, so I put it back to stock. Other than that I didn't change anything. You my dad... he hates change. LOL
Change can be good or bad. I keep changing and always hoping for the good to come of it. Hope to race against you in the near future, but the fiberglass is keeping me real busy.

Well "Change we can Believe" didn't work out well.... But not all change is bad.
I'm sure you'll see us at the races. Good Luck with the Glass business. It's great product and helps support the early B Body fans.

Thanks

Auto Transport Service
Back