• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

65 Coronet Steering Column Shift Cable Box

LSU Tiger

Local time
5:14 PM
Reaction score
I'm trying to remove the steering column in my 65 Coronet. Everything is loose except this shift cable linkage box. I cannot find any posts that tell how to disconnect it so that I can remove the steering column.

Any ideas?

IMG_1376.JPG

If I remember you remove the large plate(3 bolts) from the firewall and it should clear as you pull it toward the seat.

I'm trying to remove the steering column in my 65 Coronet. Everything is loose except this shift cable linkage box. I cannot find any posts that tell how to disconnect it so that I can remove the steering column.

Any ideas?

View attachment 793854

What about the shift cables that run to the transmission? How do they disconnect?

I don't have the 65 service manual in front of me it's at the shop. I believe you remove the lock on the shift cable and unwind the adjustment,using a wire hook I don't remember if you push it into release the cable or clip it and pull. The Park cable remove the plug and fish a wire there too to release the cable. I usually just remove the bolts from the housing and leave the park cable in the housing.It's been a long time. I may be a bit foggy, but that's all I know.

from memory here; there's a small cover plate with a nut and stud on the side of column where the cables connect. remove the nut and cover. cables will be exposed when rubber is pulled back. spread the metal clamps that hold the cables in position and then remove the cables. be sure to tag the cables so they go back in the same position. unclamp the steering coupler from the steering box. unbolt the column at the firewall. remove 4 nuts and clamp that hold the column up and pull the column out. trying to do this with the cables connected to the column is a real mess.

Auto Transport Service
Back