• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

65 Coronet: stick with the stock grill, or go A990 style....

65 stock grill or A990 style

• Stock 65 grill

Votes: 15 48.4%
  • A990 grill

Votes: 16 51.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

GrabberOrange69

Local time
4:07 PM
Reaction score
I recently came into 2 complete center sections and 1 set of headlight buckets for a 65 Coronet. My Coronet wagon has a very cherry grill on it, but I was thinking how the car might look with the A990 single light set up. What do you think?

I don't know. It never made a lick of sense to me to screw up two perfectly good grilles. But then, it's not my car. I have a 65 Coronet 2 door hardtop and am perfectly pleased with how it rolled out of the factory.

I don't know. It never made a lick of sense to me to screw up two perfectly good grilles. But then, it's not my car. I have a 65 Coronet 2 door hardtop and am perfectly pleased with how it rolled out of the factory.

well actually there was 101 65 coronets that came with the single headlight grille from the factory.

I think both look good. But if it was me unless I was building an A-990 clone I think I would leave it stock with the 2 headlites per side. If you look at my buddies black 65 Coronet and the other sweet gold 65 Coronet in this link I have to say they look great just they way they are being stock with the 4 headlites. Both ways look good so I myself would stay stock with the 4 headlites. Ron

http://www.forbbodiesonly.com/mopar...-of-nMopar-Super-Stockers-cruisen-the-streets

you know what my votes for, built mine but its what i wanted got 75 bucks into it.

Attachments

• 65 coronet 011.jpg
    65 coronet 011.jpg
    83.4 KB · Views: 543
Hmmm
good question.
I'm on the fence.
Like the 64 Polara, single headlight or dual headlight.
On the 64 Polara, I like the single look.
On the 65 I lean towards the dual "original" style

I think the original execution of the "Hemi grill" on the '65 Dodge was clunky and looked pretty thrown together. That being said, some of the recreations look really good with a bit more attention to detail. 65dodge and mattsmopars look really good. Making the transition between a flat center and convex sides would be my biggest focus. If it were my wagon and I had three grills like you do then I would do it no question.

A bit of advice ...I would have more than 3 grills. The first one I cut up went to the trash. It does take quite a bit of time if you make the fit good. As you say Polara Pat most originals you see do not have a smooth transition.
Matt

A990

I know we are talking about 65 Dodge However! I believe the 64 Plymouth SS was the start of the A990 cars. Then in 65 Plymouth went with the B body's with only 2 headlights. Here's my 64 Plymouth SS clone and 65 Bel II.
I do have a 65 Coronet with the 4 headlights.
I like the 2 Light look best.

Attachments

• 016.jpg
    016.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 467
  • 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    82.2 KB · Views: 430
This has been a great post for me...haven't decided yet but the photos have been great food for thought!

I have done my car both ways. Kept the A990 grille and cloned hood "just in case", but currently have more of a stock appearance. My A990 grille is much nicer than the originals but still looks "cobbled together" in comparison to a stock 4 headlight grille. The swap only takes a short amount of time, so it just depends on the mood of the day. Same holds true for my wheel/tire combinations.

This has been a great post for me...haven't decided yet but the photos have been great food for thought!

Either way dude, you caint screw it up. Look at what you're startin with. It's already perfection. Just make sure you do what YOU want. That's what counts.

Auto Transport Service
Back