• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

'65 Satellite 440 Swap Rookie Questions

65PlymSatellite

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
11:12 PM
Reaction score
Hi All,

New guy here and as the title states, I want to swap in a 440 into my 65 Satellite. The Satellite has the original 273 in it now. Just Picked up a 1971 440 last weekend, and a few months ago I had picked up '65 BB 727. Next step is engine tear down and rebuild. Once that's done is where the rookie questions come in. I know I'll have to rebuild the front end and swap out the torsion bars, but to be honest that's all I know. Starting in the front, will i need some kind of motor mount converters or will the 440 drop into the V8 K member with replacement 440 mounts? I've read that as long as you have a V8 K member I'll be okay, but I've also read i need converter mounts. Next is wiring. What do I need to change? Also the driveshaft needs to be shortened, right?
Any other tips/tricks to look out for?
Any major issues I'll encounter?
Any knowledge is greatly appreciated guys!

*Backstory*
The Satellite belonged to my grandfather who died before I was born. My father drove the car for about 15 years then sat in his garage for another 10. Now I'm fixing it up for myself.

I'm just a 25 year old kid trying to haul *** in an old Plymouth!

Hi 65PlymSatellite - first of all, hi there and welcome. You ought to let people know you've arrived with a post in the welcome forum.
I like the family history story of your car, did your grandfather have it new?
Out of curiosity, what rear end is currently in the car? Even if it's an 8 3/4, it probably has only a 2.76 ratios in it. Your k member should be fine. Places like Schumacher specialize in swaps like yours. http://engine-swaps.com/Pages/InstructionPages/B63BRB.html

Hi 65PlymSatellite - first of all, hi there and welcome. You ought to let people know you've arrived with a post in the welcome forum.
I like the family history story of your car, did your grandfather have it new?
Out of curiosity, what rear end is currently in the car? Even if it's an 8 3/4, it probably has only a 2.76 ratios in it. Your k member should be fine. Places like Schumacher specialize in swaps like yours. http://engine-swaps.com/Pages/InstructionPages/B63BRB.html

Hi Photon440,

Thanks for the welcome. My father told me that his father did not buy it new, but it was his last car. I had purchased a shop manual and it tells me that it does have an 8 3/4 rear end, but I don’t know for sure. I wouldn’t know how to identify it. Is there a way to know by looking at it?
What rear end ratio should I be looking to run? I’m looking to build that 440 to have as much torque/horsepower as possible while still being able to drive it comfortably on a road trip. Maybe 380 to 450 horsepower should be my goal? I should mention I also threw a front disc brake kit with a vacuum booster. Should I just rebuild the engine to stock specs? I guess I’ll have to start another thread on engine blueprinting...

Welcome, you'll find an incredible amount of experience here. '65 Satellite is a fantastic car. 8 3/4 axles are easily identified by the round back, no bolts. The "pumpkin" bolts in from the front, gear ratio checked by jacking up the rear, rotate the tire 1 revolution while counting the number of turns the driveshaft/u joint makes. For general cruising a 3.23 is very good, more acceleration 3.55 or maybe 3.91, but 3.91 or higher is tough on the freeway & fuel economy. Limited slip both tires rotate the same direction, "open" differential tires rotate opposite. Your HP goals are attainable with a stout 440. HP comes from good ring seal, good combination of camshaft, intake manifold & carb. Budget dictates the power level most of the time. Modern cam designs a little larger than"stock", modern aluminum dual plane intakes with a compatible carb are critical. Substantial HP increases come from "pocket porting" a stock '71 cylinder head. BB Mopar heads respond extremely well to some basic grinding below the valve seat. Power & torque across the RPM range. Go to the local drag strip, look for the BB Mopar racers that win a lot, ask who does their engine machine work.

What transmission came in the car? your 440 will not bolt up to a small block transmission. If it is an auto trans car you will need to decide if you want to keep the original shifter which necessitates finding a 1965 big block trans or going to a later model trans with a aftermarket floor shifter.
Mike

if the 273 runs
I'd get the torsion bars changed while derivable
even the largest hard to find are not big enough for a 440 on the road with today's wider radial tires- if you are going to want it to handel
also install the pinion snubber and subframe connectors (looke these up if unfamiliar
how wide is your radiator opening/ core support?
This does not happen to be a special factory 273 by any chance- if so you have a collectors item
rebuild the steering and front end
you can do this while rebuilding the 440
doing it after can be hazardous to your health
figure out brakes if this is to be a road car
65 and road car you might be better off with a 400 small block or a new Hemi from a pickup
front end weight much less, more power and installation wise a toss up

Welcome from Mid-Michigan. Great story about the car. You'll find a lot of knowledge here and lot's of good people willing to help you out. Congrats and a great car to build up and good luck with it all.

Hi Photon440,

Thanks for the welcome. My father told me that his father did not buy it new, but it was his last car. I had purchased a shop manual and it tells me that it does have an 8 3/4 rear end, but I don’t know for sure. I wouldn’t know how to identify it. Is there a way to know by looking at it?
What rear end ratio should I be looking to run? I’m looking to build that 440 to have as much torque/horsepower as possible while still being able to drive it comfortably on a road trip. Maybe 380 to 450 horsepower should be my goal? I should mention I also threw a front disc brake kit with a vacuum booster. Should I just rebuild the engine to stock specs? I guess I’ll have to start another thread on engine blueprinting...
8 3/4 rear ends are pretty easy to identify. First of all, they have no bolts on the back. What will your budget be for the build?
upload_2018-7-6_8-0-50.png

These guys are giving you good tips & WELCOME!
1. Run a 26" wide radiator
2. Yes, conversion motor mounts
3. will need new exhaust manifolds...headers? & I suggest dual exhaust for sure.
4. Stock 440 will be fine...maybe a small cam/lifter/springs + headers + 650-750 cfm carburetor
5. IF you have no bolts in the back of the rear end (8-3/4"), that will work GREAT
6. Likely need a slightly different length driveshaft.

Everyone here will help you a lot.....and we LOVE pictures :lol:

if the 273 runs

This does not happen to be a special factory 273 by any chance- if so you have a collectors item
65 and road car you might be better off with a 400 small block or a new Hemi from a pickup

..was there a "special "273 '65 Satellite?

IDK the 273 zealots are in a world of their own
as mentioned above if you have the narrow radiator core support start looking for a wide one
is 26" it for satellite
what years interchange?

FYI, I mounted the 26" radiator in my '65. Radiator too wide for the core support.but added cooling from the fins. Worked great for many years.

FYI, I mounted the 26" radiator in my '65. Radiator too wide for the core support.but added cooling from the fins. Worked great for many years.

That's good to know. I currently have a couple different 22" and a 26" available for my 65. I was leaning toward the 26" partly because of the 440 that's in the car. Thanks.

My 1970 road runner, originally 383, had a factory 22" rad which I kept when I went to a 440. No cooling problems.

What transmission came in the car? your 440 will not bolt up to a small block transmission. If it is an auto trans car you will need to decide if you want to keep the original shifter which necessitates finding a 1965 big block trans or going to a later model trans with a aftermarket floor shifter.
Mike

I was able to find a Big Block 1965 727 before I picked up the 440. I should be able to keep the original shifter with cable assembly, right? Will a simple rebuild work with the 440 horsepower output, or is there some kind of "performance" rebuild kit I should know about?

if the 273 runs
I'd get the torsion bars changed while derivable
even the largest hard to find are not big enough for a 440 on the road with today's wider radial tires- if you are going to want it to handel
also install the pinion snubber and subframe connectors (looke these up if unfamiliar
how wide is your radiator opening/ core support?

I really don't think there is anything special about that 273. I know "Commando" 273's existed, but mines definitely not one.

good tips, thanks!

Changing the core support to accommodate a 26" radiator is no simple task. I have a 22" three core radiator in in my '62 convertible with a 440 and AC with no problems. I live in SC so it does get hot here. I do have a factory fan shroud and seven blade clutch fan.

Auto Transport Service
Back