• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

650+hp stroker from a 400 block

440rb

Local time
10:02 PM
Reaction score
Hi guys, got a friend with a 3700lb Chally who currently races in our NSS class with his 440, I posted it in the 10 sec brkt. He's just bought a std. bore 400 block (3698630 400*8) and is looking to build a 650hp+ stroker.
The car has a good chassis going 1.56 60'[email protected]'s>11.1's@121 best. Caltracs etc., QA1 shocks etc.etc.. you get the picture. A built converter will also be acquired.

So he has a pair of [email protected] Eddy heads currently which he was thinking of using for this 499>512 motor purely because of money and the lack of it. But that may change, TF heads are £4k to get them here. I think he's going to struggle some with those heads to get 650hp-ish on pump, going to take a big s/roller for that?
Only real parameters are V-power pump gas as its still driven on the street a bit.
What say you guys who've been there and done that given the mentioned facts.

pretty much anything here will correspond . Except low deck max wedge intakes have less choice , I think Indy only ?

Tex

Just as well add one of these and shoot for 700hp. Our popular NSS class here requires 2 or 3 carbs. :thumbsup: We are installing a Weiand tunnel ram on ours. This M1 is on ebay.

Screenshot_20220928_183120.jpg

Last edited:
Are you wanting at the crank or at the tires hp? I've got a very mild 496 stroker w 610/670 hp/tq at the crank.

I personally would grab a set of 440-1's (or whatever they are calling them now) and never look back. Nuttin wrong with the Indy low deck MW port manifold either.

The 300 CFM EDE's will get a 500 ish motor into the 600 + hp range. pretty easily. Even the non Max intakes can support over 600 HP. In the '80's my home ported iron heads with a Weiand tunnel ram and two 650 Holley DP was at 600 HP (400/452). Today's parts (EDE Performers) will get MUCH more.

Have the Hughes Engines CNC ported Edelbrock Victor Max wedge heads on the 4.15" stroker 400 block. The heads do flow 400 cfm.
Using the Indy intake with the 4150 base, and I think the engine would like larger than the 1050 cfm carb I have ran on it.
My car is a slug street car. 4200 lbs, have the take it easy launching the car, usually high 1.7 60' times if I don't blow the tires off. Only runs mid 11's @ 120 MPH, but that is at Bandimeres mile high + altitude. I do need to get some adjustable shocks for the car and work on the suspension to help get the car to hook up, but I only race a few times a year, and drive the car on the street.

I personally would grab a set of 440-1's (or whatever they are calling them now) and never look back. Nuttin wrong with the Indy low deck MW port manifold either.

Not going to happen I doubt, Its going to be his 300+cfm? Eddy heads. That looks like what we've got to work with, its the only thing we know thats fact, and there lies the questions on how best to go for 650+hp.

and there lies the questions on how best to go for 650+hp.
Well, given that situation, my next plan of attack would be to find the right guy to custom grind a solid roller cam based on your exact car setup.... I'm rusty on who (Harold is long gone), but there others who have done more recently... I would not try to pick an off-the-shelf cam, nor a converter for a racing situation.

I agree with Lefty71. Picking a cam for your combination can be really tricky. In general the "phone guys" won't get you what you need. For a BB Mopar, today I'd call Bullet, get a real tech guy on the phone. They seem to have a lot of Mopar oriented grinds. Also torque convertors need the correct advice from someone that knows Mopars. I would call Lupo Dynamic.

While I do agree that a custom grind is more likely going to be suited to your combo, where those specs land at may just also be right on top of something that is a catalog item. I called Howards on my current build. Sent the specs on everything I was doing. We started down the road of a custom cam, but ended up realizing that one of their catalog items fit my build nicely, so that’s the direction I went. Still wasn’t “off the shelf”…. Cam shelves are pretty bare these days, guys. I've been waiting for 2 months with still a month and a half to go for this “off the shelf” cam. Pretty sure it saved me some money though over a “custom grind”.

I usually recommend Bullet in the states but... beware I have heard of some excessive shipping charges when shipped overseas buying direct from them. Finding a 3rd party that will take care of the purchase and ship it will likely save you hundreds. At Bullet Tim Goolsby is who we ask for. Most the cams recommendations from Howards seem to be good from what I have seen. At one time getting a bullet custom roller was close in cost as a cam off the shelf from comp cams, so our attitude was go custom. Now with core shortages it is more challenging for sure. If your running into trouble finding a cam also try ISKY. They seem to be better w cores on hand then other companies.

My buddy has had great luck with making a cam from crower. Good tech from what I understand.

Have a look at the Trick Flow site. There are dyno charts with cam specs. I built a 440 last year using TF 240 heads, owner wanted 650 HP from a 440. I didn't like, nor did he need, the extra exh duration of the TF cam because it was going to be street driven in a heavy car.
I had a Comp custom ground sol roller cam for the engine, 248 @ 050, 106 LSA, tight lash, 0.419" lobe lift on the intake.

[1] I suggest you go the Isky Cams site, Tech Tips. And read: Is extra exh duration really necessary?
[2] I am in Oz. I know the shipping cost pain. The shippers like FedEx, UPS charge because.....they can...

The TF240 headed 505" stroker street engine (10:1 compression) that was in Dan's 66 Furry III used a Luaniti 40230732 solid roller cam (243/249 @ 0.050") with specs really close to the trick Flow TFS-61602003 hydraulic roller cam, 243/247 @ 0.050"
The engine was very streetable, and could have even used a larger cam. The extra displacement of the stroker makes the cams seem smaller.

The old 451" low deck 400 engine used an Ultradyne 251/251 @ 0.050" solid roller cam. It seemed to be a good street/strip cam for that engine making around 480+ HP at the wheels on a Dynojet chassis dyno.

Just a quick update here, Eagle 4.150 stoker kit being ordered, probably TF270's now as selling parts off to pay for it, in region of a .660 s/roller and around 10.9:1cr, Indy intake more than likely as not much choice elsewhere, will use current good 830cfm DP for now until money permits a Thumper 1050-ish 4150 which I'm trying to persuade him onto, not cheap for 1>2 10ths, maybe more?, buy the best is my moto, so hopefully it will touch the 700hp mark on the dyno and with a bit of weight loss a 9 sec car could be the order of the day. Now thats worth all the expense in my opinion, from 11.1's>9.90's?

Managed to buy a Dana 60 at a good price with 4.56's strange shafts and 1350 u which will be changed to 4.10's to run with 28' hoosiers, hopefully won't have to change carriers?. And either an ATI/Dynamic or similar good co. will be used for a built verter, just hope he won't go shy on a 5k-ish stall. Things are moving on>>>
thanks for the replies guys.

Last edited:
The Max Wedge 270's will really want more carb. It will likely want a big cam. 4.10 gears take the 3.0 carrier.

The Max Wedge 270's will really want more carb. It will likely want a big cam. 4.10 gears take the 3.0 carrier.
Agreed on the carb, the thought of driving a Dom on the street does not work for most, to me its no problem, he has 1.6 rockers now, they'll probably sell with the whole 440 motor, I don't know, but if he bought some HS 1.6 rckrs and a 660 he would [email protected] less lash, whats the point of spending 4k£'s on them and not getting all the benefit with a baby cam, but its not my money.

Unfortunately he was talking about going milder on the cam, I'm not the one thats going to drive it on the street some but I tried to tell him no on that, don't go soft on cam choice. Yes there are 2 carriers, 3.54>4.10 and 4.56>7 something I believe?, don't know which he has but it has 4.56 gears currently, not up on the change over and what that entails exactly and how much?...he got the axle for a good price at least, maybe thats why?, to sum it up really its always a compromise when the word street comes into it, I hope he doesn't go down that road too far.

Last edited:
Auto Transport Service
Back