• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

66, 361 distributor cap color?

SassyPants

Local time
6:27 PM
Reaction score
Folks, what was the original color of the distributor cap on the 66 361 engines, please? Best, B.

I would say Tan ......but 1965 was black and i could easily see maybe black on a very early production car

I agree with tan I have some original 66 Charger pictures and they are tan.

Thank you to everyone. I will try to find a Tan one. Save that, I will go with Black. What I do now believe is that the Blue one I now have is Incorrect. I love it that these are the issues of focus and appreciate your help. Getting down to the short rows on the project. Best to you all, B.

The Presto-lite cap only works on their distributor, hence the question of whether you have a Mopar made or Presto-lite made distributor. Both were available. These things matter.

Thanks Leo, here is what I have.

IMG_4993.jpg

I think it is the original. The one thing I found to be interesting is the Oil Port just under the head of the distributor. Have not seen that on other stuff I have worked on. Best, B.

the Cap is not original. I bought it during the restoration, but I think the Distributor is original. B.

67 down are generally black except dual point they seem to be mid 66 down black only. USUALLY, I have seen nos 65 replacement distributors with tan though. Best bet is find the part number in the FSM and see what it is. Its a Mopar!

Last edited:
Auto Transport Service
Back