• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

66 / 67 Charger rear defrosters -- rear speakers -- and electric antenna.

Maxrat

Local time
6:14 AM
Reaction score
Claims of 66 / 67 Charger rear defrosters -- rear speakers -- and electric antenna from the factory. But nobody can produce a picture or manual figure (for 66/67 Charger) that shows any of them. Did they exist? Or do people just want them to exist?

And were are these claims? on this site?

Claims of 66 / 67 Charger rear defrosters -- rear speakers -- and electric antenna from the factory. But nobody can produce a picture or manual figure (for 66/67 Charger) that shows any of them. Did they exist? Or do people just want them to exist?
Year’s ago, about 1995 I saw a 66 Charger with a rear window defogger. 8 Charger owners drove from Saskatchewan to the TDC Meet in Rapid City SD in 2001. The same car came along, It looks like it had a rear defogger installed. My research shows it was not available from the factory. I don’t think any 66-7 Charger had a power antennae, maybe even b bodies. Chargers did not have rear factory speakers.
This may not be correct, but what I have gleaned.

I have a '67 charger with a power antenna. The whole cars getting restored but I bought it from the original owner 100% stock with zero modifications (not even wheels)

The rear passenger side sail panel area cover has a factory cutout for the defroster molded into it on the back side of the panel for this option, and the part is mentioned in the parts catalog. It was a very poor design however, so even if someone were to special order it, it would have been pretty useless.

I have a picture of the molded cutout on my PC at home. Unfortunately, I'm not there at the moment.

I have a '67 charger with a power antenna. The whole cars getting restored but I bought it from the original owner 100% stock with zero modifications (not even wheels)
Can you find out if it was a factory ordered or dealer installed? I think it would show up on the broadcast sheet.

Can you find out if it was a factory ordered or dealer installed? I think it would show up on the broadcast sheet.
Haven't found the broadcast sheet yet. Might be on the fender tag?
I'd doubt it was a dealer option because it was special ordered thru a small Chrysler dealer in upstate NY

Found it here in the old thread that Ian had mentioned earlier.

F1.jpg

Haven't found the broadcast sheet yet. Might be on the fender tag?
I'd doubt it was a dealer option because it was special ordered thru a small Chrysler dealer in upstate NY
That last comment would seem likely, but most antennas were installed by the dealer I think.

erase.jpg

This is a scan of the Charger rear wiring harness from a reprint of the 66 FSM. At the bottom it shows the harness for a rear window defogger with the caption "Mopar only" which might mean it was dealer installed.

View attachment 1066786
This is a scan of the Charger rear wiring harness from a reprint of the 66 FSM. At the bottom it shows the harness for a rear window defogger with the caption "Mopar only" which might mean it was dealer installed.

The word might is key. We've still seen no photographic evidence one exists. I'd like to see that one day.

The word might is key. We've still seen no photographic evidence one exists. I'd like to see that one day.
I will see if I can locate the fellow and ask him to send pictures of his. Had hopped to get to his City and take pictures, but doesn’t look good.

To answer your question, no, no & no.
Dealer added, maybe but factory, no. My 2 cents.
I have the brochures on my website, take a peek
http://www.retrorarities.com/ChargerLiterature.htm

View attachment 1066786
Wonder if that was just an idea and did not get much further than a dealer having to figure it out if needed. Ranking up there with some of the 67 books showing the hood release pull from 66.

To answer your question, no, no & no.
Dealer added, maybe but factory, no. My 2 cents.
I have the brochures on my website, take a peek
http://www.retrorarities.com/ChargerLiterature.htm
You are correct, non were options as far as my information can tell. I contacted the owner of the 66, car is in storage but has a rear defogger. Probably dealer installed. He will try to get pictures later this spring. My records do not show a power antennae for b bodies in 1967.

Recently acquired 67 from original owner which according to tag was factory built for him. There are a few odd bits- factory air, 4 spd 383 with console delete. What’s interesting is the antenna- I’d be curious to look under fender to see if the OEM has been filled; but look at attached photo. And there is a toggle like switch on bottom of dash, which looks quite old. Car is in winter storage so have not really investigated.
655B325E-F2B8-44B1-A32C-0C00EAA1D229.jpeg

Recently acquired 67 from original owner which according to tag was factory built for him. There are a few odd bits- factory air, 4 spd 383 with console delete. What’s interesting is the antenna- I’d be curious to look under fender to see if the OEM has been filled; but look at attached photo. And there is a toggle like switch on bottom of dash, which looks quite old. Car is in winter storage so have not really investigated.View attachment 1196146
We had a 67 383 auto LL1 came from the original owner. Car came to the dealer, with the radio and antenna in the trunk. Dealer said where do you want the antenna? The fellow said right rear quarter. There were templates supplied so the dealer would know where to mount the antenna on the front fender. Pretty well guarantee that there won’t be a hole in the front fender.

We had a 67 383 auto LL1 came from the original owner. Car came to the dealer, with the radio and antenna in the trunk. Dealer said where do you want the antenna? The fellow said right rear quarter. There were templates supplied so the dealer would know where to mount the antenna on the front fender. Pretty well guarantee that there won’t be a hole in the front fender.
I bought a SuperBee new in 1969. It came from the factory with no radio, no aerial, and the radio block-off plate on the dash. The salesman said that when they ordered a performance car for stock, they never ordered the radio on them. He explained that if a radio is ordered, the front fender is always punched for the aerial. At this time there were varying tastes for where the radio aerial should go. The salesman said that by paying the option price for the radio, the dealership would install it and mount the aerial at my preference. I bought the radio and had the aerial mounted on the rear fender.

Auto Transport Service
Back