• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

66-67 convertible tops

jusglazin

Local time
10:32 AM
Reaction score
I am looking for a convertible top for my 66 coronet. All the manufacturers list plastic only rear windows for the 66 models but 67's have the option of a glass rear window. I asked two of them if I could use the 67 glass in my 66 and both said no it wouldnt work or fit. My question is I thought the 66-67 both use the same top frame so why will it not work?? Any experts out there that can explain?

We also have a '66 Coronet convertible . My immediate thought process says the folks who are telling you this are referencing a ready made kit .
We also have several boats with a convertible top and glass . It can be done just not from a standard replacement kit . The downside ?
It won't be cheap

Why would a kit for a 66-67 be any different. Thats what I dont understand. These cars are the exact same.

I was told that the bow above rear window was different. He told me it was 4" taller, I don't see 4". If anybody has a 67 convertible measure from center of seat where the boot slides to the bow. One thing don't use anything with ammonia in to clean plastic windows. Been using pledge to clean window. I don't wipe water off window, a roll of paper towels rolled on window like painting.

I was told that the bow above rear window was different. He told me it was 4" taller, I don't see 4". If anybody has a 67 convertible measure from center of seat where the boot slides to the bow. One thing don't use anything with ammonia in to clean plastic windows. Been using pledge to clean window. I don't wipe water off window, a roll of paper towels rolled on window like painting.

I see the bow height at 23 inches for the 66 and 27 for the 67. That must be it. Thanks. I might extend my bow, i dont want to deal with plastic. Cant see **** out of those.

Mistake #1 these cars are NOT exactly the same. Hundreds of differences.

order the 67 top. But don’t complain when it doesn’t fit. All it will cost you is lost money and time.

Had mine done in 2005 still nice. T he things I mentioned help. I don't drive it as much as before so that helps.:(

Take your plastic window to a glass shop.

I'll bet they can cut you a tempered glass replacement for under $100.

Not safety glass, but the next best thing.
Were the OEM vert rear glass panels safety?

You could always change yours over to a '67 top frame and install the '67 convertible top. It would be some time and $$$, but the end result would be what you want. The convertible top on my 1964 Polara 500 convertible also had a plastic rear window and I didn't like it much either.

Take your plastic window to a glass shop.

I'll bet they can cut you a tempered glass replacement for under $100.

Not safety glass, but the next best thing.
Were the OEM vert rear glass panels safety?
Tempered glass cannot be cut.. Glass is cut THEN tempered... Pretty sure some custom tempered would be more than $100.... AND Tempered glass IS considered safety glass...

I had a 20" by 57 7/8" tinted glass cut, edged, and tempered for $89 last year.

You could always change yours over to a '67 top frame and install the '67 convertible top. It would be some time and $$$, but the end result would be what you want. The convertible top on my 1964 Polara 500 convertible also had a plastic rear window and I didn't like it much either.
That would be a great Idea if I could find one

This ebay ad says 66/67 frame. You would need to have the seller measure the length end to end to be sure it's a 67. It would be several inches longer. wonder if you took and added to a 66 frame to make a 66 frame into a 67. If could many 66 guys might want to pay to do it. Wonder if all 66 to 70 convertible frames are the same??
Ebay ad not mine 1966 1967 Dodge Plymouth B-Body Convertible Top Rack Assembly OEM Mopar Hemi | eBay

Auto Transport Service
Back