• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

66/67 gas tank vent tube come out?

YY1

Local time
6:34 AM
Reaction score
I was digging the old split and brittle grommet out (got a good puncture wound to prove it), and when I finally got it out the vent tube seems to be attached to something inside the tank.

Is that inaccessible and permanent?

Gonna' be fun putting the grommet on if that tube don't come out.

The vent tube makes a 90* turn inside the tank, towards the center of the tank. Be careful not to bend the crap out of the vent tube, as about 18" of it is inside the tank. I just replaced the tank and all the attached parts on my '66 Coronet a couple of months ago.

You are correct. It is a very fun job installing both the grommet as well as the filler tube. I suggest silicon lubricant (Syl-glide), patients and one of those plastic pry bar sets for installing trim to help push the grommet in. Oh, and lots of cold beer!

Thanks guys.

It feels like it's attached to something inside.
It will wiggle, but kind of pivots on something.

I did notice it's kinda bent, right about the middle of where the grommet covers.
I'm sure that will add to the fun.

I do have another tanks, that's in much worse shape, but that tube looks cleaner and straighter.
My plan was to swap tubes, until I ran into so much fun yesterday.

Thanks guys.

It feels like it's attached to something inside.
It will wiggle, but kind of pivots on something.

I did notice it's kinda bent, right about the middle of where the grommet covers.
I'm sure that will add to the fun.

I do have another tanks, that's in much worse shape, but that tube looks cleaner and straighter.
My plan was to swap tubes, until I ran into so much fun yesterday.

Don't try to pull it out. Its attached in there with two hangers. I cut mine open to put in my intank pump and had to modify that tube. Mine is now welded and sealed to the outside without a grommet.

But yeah...its not coming out.

Thanks. That's a larger headache saved.

Auto Transport Service
Back