• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

FOR SALE 66-68 Upper Radiator Support - L-bracket to box the crossmember

Want to get in on this part purchase?

• Yes, I want one.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Not interested.

Votes: 1 100.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

AJReigart

66 1/2 SuperB
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
9:38 AM
Reaction score
Contact seller
Looking to gauge interest in other members interest in purchasing a weld-in L-bracket to box an Upper Radiator Support. This bracket should stiffen up your radiator support and associated panels.

I am going to make one for my 66 Coronet. I have used my 66 and 67 Coronet to do the take-offs. This part concept was originally developed and installed in a 68 Charger. A photo of the install on the 68 Charger is attached in this post. An outline drawing of the L-bracket follows the photo.

The bracket will be laser cut 16 ga raw steel, L-shaped and boxes a B-bodies upper radiator support side to side (51" wide). The L-bracket requires welding directly to the upper radiator support. Welding required on the front upper and lower of the radiator support U-shaped top rail.

Five tabs are located on the top of the L-bracket to locate the bracket onto the upper radiator support. All factory upper radiator supports that I have looked at appear to have 5 notches across the front top edge of the U-rail. These notches must have been used during Upper Radiator Support manufacture and/or body assembly.

Unit pricing will be approximately $350 US (assuming total purchase quantity of 5) plus parcel shipping to you from 17315.

Availability in 6 to 8 weeks after I order the parts. Looking to let an order by middle of May 2023.

Please PM me with any questions.

Please respond to the poll to let me know if you're interested in getting one. I'll be looking for up-front payment.

boxed radiator support.jpg

radiator support box - L bracket.jpg

Great idea, just too much money for what it is. Everyone has an opinion right?
No offense taken ..... cost is what it is as I'm having them made by a shop. I didn't put this offering out to make a profit, just offering to do so for the FBBO membership .....

No offense taken ..... cost is what it is as I'm having them made by a shop. I didn't put this offering out to make a profit, just offering to do so for the FBBO membership .....
I don’t really understand. Has there been a problem with the original? I like you trying to genuinely trying to help. Unlike some who try to exploit the most they can.

I toyed with this idea after seeing a member make one in the restomod forum. I don't understand why you're making it a "Y", a laser cut flat piece would do just fine - it would, however, require grinding the top front edge flat to line up with the bottom but that's no big deal. Just my 2 cents !

I don’t really understand. Has there been a problem with the original? I like you trying to genuinely trying to help. Unlike some who try to exploit the most they can.
There is nothing wrong with my existing radiator support. Probably nothing wrong with most of them.

However, I have my car torn down to the unibody. I've identified all the body areas to be repaired (due to rust, the car was never in an accident). I've obtained the necessary repair parts. Along the way, I have also identified and obtained parts that were built into the performance cars of the era (torque boxes, plates, etc.). Also, looked at a number of other builds and identified the radiator support as an area of improvement.

I toyed with this idea after seeing a member make one in the restomod forum. I don't understand why you're making it a "Y", a laser cut flat piece would do just fine - it would, however, require grinding the top front edge flat to line up with the bottom but that's no big deal. Just my 2 cents !
I appreciate the input. I lifted this concept from an FBBO restomod build, with his permission.

The "L" shape piece is designed to retain stock radiator support dims/overall shape to the extent possible. As you know, the stock radiator support upper rail flange width is held at 1" across the width of the radiator support. The lower rail varies in width across the width of the radiator support (from about 5/8 to 13/16"). The narrowest being at the bends in the stamping, where the metal was stretched during forming.

The fellow in the resto mod forum (Pat I believe) bent the front edge over along the length to make it consistent with the width of the ends.

The fellow in the resto mod forum (Pat I believe) bent the front edge over along the length to make it consistent with the width of the ends.
Curious, is that pic of a factory upper radiator support of a reproduction?

I just measured the upper rail flange at your arrows on both sides of my factory 66 and 67 radiator supports; as well as, several places across the "flat" top. The measurements vary by .1"; .8" in the radius between your arrows, and generally .9" everywhere else (measured from engine side to grille side, outside to outside. The bracket lay out is generous in material through the S curve on both sides; added about 1/8" to allow for hand forming/grinding to fit.

In my conversations with the originator of the concept, rolling the upper edge of the upper flange of the radiator support was "to make the grille side look like the engine side". AKA, rounded corners both sides.

The lower flange width is slightly narrower than the upper flange (.75" to .8" (lower) across the width of the radiator support vs .9" (upper)). The lower flange also appears to vary more as a percent of total flange width (.625" at it's narrowest). The area of the lower flange across from your inner arrow is where the lower flange narrows the most; probably where the metal was stretched the most.

IMHO - these factors (difference in upper/lower flange widths and variations across the lower flange) drove the L-shaped bracket to box the radiator support.

Make sense to you?

I hear what you're saying. I have two factory original uppers and two repros. They are virtually identical which is almost a surprise! I have one that I started to work like Pat's but didn't get it done in time to install.

Anyhow, let's not beat this to death, you have an idea, I say "run with it". Just don't go getting a thousand made just yet !!

I hear what you're saying. I have two factory original uppers and two repros. They are virtually identical which is almost a surprise! I have one that I started to work like Pat's but didn't get it done in time to install.

Anyhow, let's not beat this to death, you have an idea, I say "run with it". Just don't go getting a thousand made just yet !!
All good, discussion and feedback .... also good to know that factory and repros (AMD, I assume?) are so close (aka identical) .... surprise, surprise.

I have the upper rail of the radiator support out of my 67 Coronet parts car ... gonna use it to prototype and test fit the initial L bracket .... first on the no roll and possibly on a rolled upper rail edge ..... I'm going to fabricate a dolly to form the rolled lip next week .... while the rolled edge makes for a very nice finish/appearance; not sure the juice is worth the squeeze (for me).

I have no aspirations on going into production mode with this ....... gonna have a very small run made .... if nothing else, I'll have a detailed print available .......

Thanks for all your input, it is appreciated.

The "tool" to roll the edge is not as complicated as the one Pat made. All you need is a short length of 3/4" square tube. The radiuses are perfect and you can clamp it to the support to hammer over the edge. If you can clamp the whole thing to a good solid worktable that's even better. I think Pat did his "in place" on the car.

Thank-you for the advice.

I took the upper rail out of my parts car this morning. Will clean it up, get some 3/4 square tube and roll the upper edge. Will use it to prototype an L-bracket to box the rail.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Auto Transport Service
Back